Talk

Advanced search

Could it be the food?

(18 Posts)
Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 10:51:41

Hi,
I need advice, what could this be? One day last week I got given a rice dish off a friend who cooked a whole heap for people and since the night I ate it I can't poop properly and if I suddenly feel the need to, nothing but mucous comes out, also have had a bit of diarrhoea. What the hell. I've never had any sort of issues like this and the dish itself is something I have eaten before. I will add, it had meat in it and it travelled by car by a the friend for about 45 min. It was properly packed but not with any cold packs. Is this a coincidence or could these symptoms be from eating that food? I otherwise feel totally fine, no sickness etc. Nothing on google is giving me any answers except IBS keeps coming up but I've never had any problems before. I'm hesitant to go to the doctors atm (virus)

OP’s posts: |
Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 10:55:20

I'm also passing a lot of gas and can feel and hear churning in my stomach? ..

Bercows Wed 15-Apr-20 10:55:56

Did you reheat it? There's a bacterium that affects rice and is not destroyed by heat. I can't remember what it's called. Do you have pain or fever?

Bercows Wed 15-Apr-20 10:58:01

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

Can you contact your GP for advice? Mine is doing video consultations or phone calls.

emmathedilemma Wed 15-Apr-20 11:00:03

It could be the rice, although if you ate it last week the NHS info suggests you should be over it by now. Do you know anyone else who ate it? If you do, i'd ask if they've had similar. www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/
It sounds like you're constipated though, are you eating and drinking normally?

dementedpixie Wed 15-Apr-20 11:03:18

Rice can be constipating. If it was food poisoning from rice you would have been vomiting and having diarrhoea I would have thought

eurochick Wed 15-Apr-20 11:03:48

Rice is notorious for giving horrendous food poisoning, but this seems like an unusually long delay.

dementedpixie Wed 15-Apr-20 11:04:52

What foods have you been eating since having that rice dish? I think your symptoms are unlikely to be from food you ate last week

Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:08:22

@Bercows Yes I reheated it, no pain or fever

Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:12:24

@emmathedilemma Yeah eating and drinking normally, I don't know anyone else who had it

Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:13:22

@dementedpixie I thought that too

Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:14:47

@eurochick It was Friday night and a couple of hours later my stomach was making those churning noises in bed and Saturday morning was when I noticed something was off down there confused

Bawdrip Wed 15-Apr-20 11:14:50

Have you had any white fish recently? There is a cheap type that makes you pass mucus.

Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:17:41

@dementedpixie Just what I usually eat really, nothing out of the ordinary, it just seems weird this started on Friday night after eating this dish except I feel fine apart from the other stuff.

Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:21:48

@Bawdrip Nah no fish

Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:24:51

I don't know if this is possible but my husband just said it's prob a stomach bug from our two year old hmmShe's had some runny poos on and off for a couple of weeks. Not every poo tho. Is it even possible and if so shouldn't I feel sick?

Spam88 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:42:48

It does sound like classic IBS symptoms. Wouldn't expect you to be feeling the effects of food poisoning this late.

Becstar90 Wed 15-Apr-20 13:28:07

@Spam88 Yeah I don't think it would be food poisoning as I would be vomiting too, which I'm not. Can you develop IBS later in life? Can it be a one off?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »