Hospital letters sent to elderly mother

(5 Posts)
Pud2 Mon 13-Apr-20 09:22:20

My mum is in a care home. She gets easily confused and anxious, and has dementia. She has been sent a couple of letters recently from the hospital for routine hospital appointments. These are causing her a lot of anxiety as she has lost her sense of time and is worried about when these appointments are, despite us telling her they’ve been cancelled because of Corona. She even tried to attend the hospital yesterday (for an appointment in May) but was stopped by the carers thankfully. I wondered if it’s possible for me to request that any letters from the hospital are sent to me rather than her, to avoid this anxiety? Is this allowed? Would I phone the GP to request that?

OP’s posts: |
digerd Mon 13-Apr-20 19:54:25

Yes, I would and especially as she has dementia I would think that was advisable.
Good luck

ASandwichNamedKevin Mon 13-Apr-20 20:08:31

Maybe your local adult social care service could give some advice.
It doesn't sound like you have power of attorney, as far as I know such things are easier to put in place before dementia sets in but if she is assessed as having capacity to agree to it maybe that could be arranged.
They must have seen similar situations before. It must be tough, there will be support groups for loved ones too. 💐

nocoolnamesleft Mon 13-Apr-20 20:35:57

It wouldn't be the GP. You could try the consultant's secretary?

Pud2 Tue 14-Apr-20 12:24:28

Thanks for your replies. We do have power of attorney so that is one option. For now, though, the care home have agreed to keep hold of her post for us to stop her getting anxious which is a good temporary arrangement.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in