Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

from worse to worser...people who want to hold your newborn baby!

(18 Posts)
bumbly Thu 13-Sep-07 11:57:05

baby bit under weather with swollen lymph glands, unsettled sleep and massive!!!! digestive probs

am out for eve for once ..just as about to relax...lady i know with three kids insists on picking newborn...sdo i think she should be safe..not entirely happy but it happened so quick...

newborn ok for a few mins but then with wobbly head wacks his forhead/nose onto woman's shoulderblade

screams like never heard before and continues to do so in for rest of eve like really never heard before! dead worried all night

my one eve out ruined as had to rush home

today LO completely unsettled....and wants to be held constantly...

had just managed to make him not want to be hugged at least a few hours a day..but all reverted back to "24 hour wanting to be hold"

am seriousoly worried wack on head damaged brain!!

or am i being paranoid? no gp will see me for this stupid reason

will nevere ever let anyone hold baby again

why do people insist on wanting to hold someone else's few week old fragile baby?

i couldnt face responsibilty if i did something to someone else's baby!!

lulumama Thu 13-Sep-07 12:01:07

ok

your baby is not brain damaged

he hit his forehead / nose, not the back or top of his head, and banged it on a person, not a hard surface.

he is probably unsettled because he is unwell and not sleeping

get a sling, and transport him around next to you until he is feeling better, or just hold him .

of course the GP will see you

my daughter fell off our bed a few months ago, when she was 18 months or so, and although she seemed ok, we took her to the docs for a check over the next day, for our own peace of mind as she hit the deck pretty hard.

i agree if people are going to hold oyur baby, they need to be careful, but when your children are older, you can forget how unstable a new born can be...

also, if baby is in a sling, stops people grabbing them off you

sorry you are feeling so upset

bluejelly Thu 13-Sep-07 12:02:48

I'm sure the baby is not brain-damaged, try not to panic

Newborns look very fragile, but are actually hard as nails.
Seriously, it would be extremely difficult for them to damage themselves by headbutting someone's shoulder

Early days are so scary and weird, give it time and you will feel better about going out, and other people holding them, I promise...

bumbly Thu 13-Sep-07 12:06:33

thanks lulu - always there for support

you are lovely

glad your LO ok

typing this with LO in my other arm...

back to post: his boney forehead hit this woman's collar bone - she told me....

so hard surface...

sad

just...he is so unsettled today and screamed as if terrified which i think he was...hit himself and smelt someone strange...

bumbly Thu 13-Sep-07 12:07:22

ps lulu - is hitting the back/top worse than hitting front???

pooka Thu 13-Sep-07 12:11:15

The bony front bit of the cranium is perhaps the most resilient part of the skull.
I read that in the crime fiction book where tough-guy investigator finds headbutting the most effective and least personally damaging way of taking down assailants. (so it must be true ).
Honestly, am sure that the tetchiness is unrelated. But if you are really really concerned, it wouldn't hurt to check it out for your own peace of mind.
I well remember the panicky early days with dd. With ds... well he seems to be a walking bruise.

numptysmummy Thu 13-Sep-07 12:15:13

Oh how horrible for you. Babies are really very ressiliant you know - ds2 fell off the sofa at 18mths and MOVED the plates in his head which has left him with a ridge and he's 3 and fine now. Maybe it's coincided with him getting a cold or something? If in doubt, take him to the docs - no doctor should mind seeing a baby. Hope he settles soon.

hecciesmum Thu 13-Sep-07 12:15:22

I'm not lulu, but yes - hitting the back is worse as is hitting directly on top of the head. Hitting his nose and forehead won't hurt him permanently.

I got whacked across the face by mine too. I know they look fragile, but they are very robust - being squeezed down the birth canal is far more stressful to the head than a bang pon someone's collar bone.....mine was a forceps delivery too, so he got pulled out by his head being gripped like a vice. The consultant was very keen to tell me that babies heads are robuster than people thing.

don't panic. How old is your ds? Could be unsettled due to a growth phases....ahppens at about 6 days, 12 days etc.....get hungry and restless all the time.

Try the sling if you can

hecciesmum Thu 13-Sep-07 12:16:15

sorry for my dreadful spelling - should have checked

lailasmum Thu 13-Sep-07 12:25:17

would agree with everyones post, they look fragile but really strong and resilient, I don't think this planet would be so full of people if we were that easy to damage. Also if he hit on the womans collar bone then its bone on bone, and not say on metal/concrete which would be worrying. He may just be going through a growth spurt or be feeling grotty anyway, and that combined with the shock of hitting his head probably accounts for the screaming and clingyness.

I dropped my baby on a wooden floor when she was about 6 months old, she hit her forehead and was left with a massive red bruise for a week or so but is fine, no harm done at all.

bumbly Thu 13-Sep-07 12:27:42

LO is 8 weeks tomorrow

thanks for all your messages of support

daisyandbabybootoo Thu 13-Sep-07 12:41:48

my 14 week old dd has headbutted me several times, usually catching the side of me head or the edge of my glasses frame. she screams for a bit the settles down and forgets all about it. She hit me so hard once that it brought tears ti my eyes.

I agree that his fretfulness is probably more to do with whatever viral infection he has, but take him to the docs to get him checked out if you are worried. They will not think you are wasting their time smile. Being a parent can be very worrying.

Ad FWIW, my 9 year old big sis dropped me on my head when I was about three months old and I had a huge purple lump where I hit the fire surround.....and I'm OK.

Well....some might disagree hmm grin

bumbly Fri 14-Sep-07 14:30:38

lulu-isnt a nasty headbutt akin to a "shake"?

hence my worries

OrmIrian Fri 14-Sep-07 14:33:25

Don't worry. Babies are tough. People love holding them because they are so cuddly. No harm meant. But if you don't like it just say that he's just settled and you don't want him disturbed. And I second the suggestion about the sling.

NKF Fri 14-Sep-07 14:33:48

He probably wants to be held because he's unwell. And your gp will almost certainly see you.

People want to hold newborns because they are just gorgeous. Magical and new and overwhelmingly lovely. I held a three month old yesterday and that was pretty special.

harleyd Fri 14-Sep-07 14:42:47

bumbly - my dd1 was 2weeks old, ds1 was 2.4
i had went up to have a bath and dh was downstairs with them. he had dd on changemat doing her nappy and went over to get the nappy cream. i the space of 2seconds ds tripped and stood on dd's head! the screaming was awful, i jumped out of bath, got dressed and rushed to a&e with her.
i was so panicked about brain damage/fractured skull etc. they checked her out and did a wee x-ray (which i then panicked about radiation blush.
she was totally fine and the doc was very supportive and told me that babies were far sturdier than you would think.
im sure your lo is fine, but if it puts your mind at rest go to the doc x

bumbly Fri 14-Sep-07 14:56:40

oh my gosh stood on head...what a story and so so so glad all went well

thanks for your message!!!!!!!!!

LIZS Fri 14-Sep-07 15:10:20

Hoenstly , as I said over on the other thread, don't worry, their heads are tough . It probably hurt her more than him. The crying might have been shock, that and being held by someone else. Think one of mine caught my mouth so hard headbutting, it damaged the nerve in my front tooth. I had surgery on it earlier this year as it had gradually "died" and am now waiting to see if it survives. dd fell down marble stairs aged 2 ish , her head bumped in slow motion down at least half a dozen steps but she was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now