Talk

Advanced search

Do over pronation running shoes work?

(7 Posts)
TwistyHair Fri 10-Apr-20 10:15:35

I’ve started couch 2 5k. Now my knees hurt and I’m only on week 2. Are overpronation running shoes worth it? My ankles really turn in. Has anyone had an experience where they have made a difference or is it just a running shop gimmick? I’m trying to do strengthening exercises as well as I can feel that one leg is weaker than the other.

OP’s posts: |
Geekster1963 Fri 10-Apr-20 13:55:53

Yes they work for me. The insides of my knees always hurt but when I got my support running shoes it went. There are so many different brands out there it’s hard to know where to start! I currently run in Hoka one one Arahi. They are very comfy.

emmathedilemma Fri 10-Apr-20 14:09:43

Yes but i would get them fitted at a running shop that will do you a proper gait analysis - some are offering this via video consultation at the moment. The level of support can vary between shoes, or you might be better with orthotics in a neutral shoe. It's most likely your feet causing your ankles to roll inwards. Do you have flat feet? If you're not sure, wet your feet and stand on a floor that you can see your footprint on.

tinylittlehat Fri 10-Apr-20 14:11:44

Yes definitely. I used to get knee pain and shin splints til I sorted my trainers out.

PrincessMaryaBolkonskaya Fri 10-Apr-20 14:14:12

Yup they definitely do. I could do with a new pair as mine are really worn down so my knees and hips hurt a bit again. A new pair is one of the things I’m most looking forward to post lockdown.

Kolo Fri 10-Apr-20 14:19:11

Yes, I've worn them for years. When I started running in normal trainers I got all sorts of injuries because of over pronation.

I went to a running shop for gait analysis to fit them properly, which was about £20 and knocked off the price of trainers I bought.

TwistyHair Fri 10-Apr-20 19:40:24

Thanks everyone, that’s good to know. My feet are really flat. I can tell from when I do wet footprints on concrete. I’ve read a few places that they’re just a gimmick and so it’s good to hear that they’ve actually helped some people.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »