Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

C Diff while pregnant - does anyone have any advice??

(7 Posts)
Lubell Wed 12-Sep-07 18:37:56

Hello, I wondered if anyone out there has had a similar experience to me or can offer me any advice. I am now 32 weeks pregnant with my 5th child. I caught C Diff while in hospital 3 months ago being treated for food poisoning and I can't seem to get rid of it. I have now had 3 2 week courses of Metronidazole and Vancomycin and still don't seem to be getting anywhere. Obviously neither of these drugs are suitable for pregnancy, which is scary, and there is now a possibility that the baby's liver is enlarged as on a growth scan its abdomen was "too big". I am going back to have this monitored in two weeks.

Although all the doctors and consultants I have seem (many!) have been extremely sympathetic and kind, no-one seems to know what the best thing is to do. My GP thinks that I should get the baby out as soon as safe (maybe 35 weeks) by C-section so that I can then hopefully fight this infection with my full strength, but my obstetrician says c-section would be dangerous for me because of the risk of further infection and premature birth would be dangerous for the baby, so suggested induction at 38 weeks. He is meeting with my gastroenterologist next week to talk about this.

I am just unbelievably fed up now - I am exhausted and struggling to look after my four children (all under 10). Cooking tea is now a herculean effort, and the idea of doing this for another 6 weeks is reducing me to tears.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I know that there are no other medication options and that I just have to keep taking the tablets until they work but the doctors haven't had any self-help ideas. Also, has anyone any experience of breastfeeding with this infection - breastfeeding has definitely formed the bond between me and my babies - I can't imagine not doing it with this child, but again no-one seems to know whether this is a good idea. HELP PLEASE!!

PinkMartini Wed 12-Sep-07 20:47:52

Sorry can't help but bumping for you.

CaptainCaveman Wed 12-Sep-07 20:51:46

You poor thing! Apart from the anti bs are you taking any other medication? Absolute no-no to take any anti-diarrhoeals as it lets the c diff spores remain in the bowel.

Have you been in touch with infection control team at your hospital or local primary care trust? Also, you could look at www.nice.org.uk for latest guidelines to ensure you're getting whats recommended?

dorisofdevon Wed 12-Sep-07 21:02:37

bless you c diff is horrid!!!!!!! Is there anyone who can help i had hyper emersis and can totally relate....

Just one suggestion for Bfeeding if you need the super strength ab's try expressing until course finished then putting baby to breast.

my LO didn't feed for first two weeks but has managed to get latched on now, ultimately don't stress if you are determined and you sound it there will be a way. the are loads of bf support people who will help you to get your baby latched on and if you have maintained your supply you will eventually get the close contact you want (you may have to be patient tho')

vole3 Thu 13-Sep-07 18:19:28

I know that C Diff is an opportunist and increases in response to the good gut bacteria being wiped out by antibiotics, therefore would something like Yakult help you get the levels of good bacteria back up again.

chocbiscuits Thu 13-Sep-07 21:37:10

Sounds really awful...
Any chance that dh/dp could don a chefs hat (maybe as a challenge or something?)

Lubell Sun 16-Sep-07 12:00:06

Thank you all for your advice. I was told that the Yakult type things are useful, but not while I am taking antibiotics as they wipe out the bacteria anyway - I do still drink them though, just in case! And I do have some help - my children are very good at helping to make dinner and clear up, etc. And no, I am not taking any other medications - the doctor had given me Codeine for the pain, but the hospital told me not to take them because it keeps the spores inside which is dangerous.

Anyway, thanks again for your support. Tomorrow I am seeing my obstetrician and gastroenterologist together so hopefully we will get some sort of plan in place and I won't feel so hopeless. I will let you know what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now