Talk

Advanced search

How can I prevent my newborn and me getting bitten by mosquitos?

(7 Posts)
autumnbreezed Sun 05-Apr-20 00:09:43

I've recently moved house and since being here I have been bitten ten times by mosquitos, I have ordered spray repellent but I'm not sure if it will clear the rooms out temporarily or permanently.
My baby is due in a less than month and I was wondering how can I protect my baby and myself from the mosquitos.

Any advice would be amazing smile

OP’s posts: |
TheJoyofBeingSingle Sun 05-Apr-20 00:17:18

What country are you in?

If it is malarial, you (For you) will need DEET and a mosquito net. You can get sprays to treat material including the net and clothes. You have to let them dry and air before you can wear them. Then wear long sleeves and long trousers/socks in the evening - cover yourself.

No idea about the baby I'm afraid. Most of these treatments are high powered that you wouldn't want anywhere near a new born I'd guess but I really don't know.

If you are in the UK, are you sure they are mosquitos rather than midges or similar?

If you think they are in the house, spray the fuck out of it room at a time and stay out of each room for 48 hours.

MrsJoshNavidi Sun 05-Apr-20 00:18:41

Are you sure it's mosquitoes?

Appuskidu Sun 05-Apr-20 00:19:53

are you being bitten inside the house? Unless you are somewhere very hot, are you sure it’s not fleas?

Esspee Sun 05-Apr-20 00:25:49

There are mosquito killing plug ins available from places like Boots. I once accidentally left the light on and the window open at dusk and when I remembered the ceiling was covered in bloody mozzies. Plugged in the mozzie killer and closed the door. Half an hour later I had to vacuum them all up.
I was in the tropics, where are you OP?

Reginabambina Sun 05-Apr-20 00:28:03

Eucalyptus deters them pretty well. Make sure that all of your fly screens are in good condition and remove any stagnant water in the vicinity (like fountains/ponds). I would also recommend a net for your baby’s cot.

wibblewobblejiggle Sun 05-Apr-20 01:14:43

If your in the UK it's most likely fleas or bed bugs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »