Talk

Advanced search

Constipation... sorry.

(4 Posts)
Bienentrinkwasser Fri 03-Apr-20 13:38:02

I’m taking antiemetics for hyperemesis and as expected I have ended up with constipation. Last time I had a bowel movement was a week ago, and that was horrendously painful, took hours of back and forwards to the loo, caused bleeding, and ended with explosive diarrhoea after eventually passing some hard stool. Keen not to repeat that, I’ve been taking lactulose and had glycerol suppositories to hand (which always worked in my previous pregnancy). I’ve been feeling uncomfortable and bloated today, and have tried a suppository but sadly just passed some foul smelling green mucous, and a small amount of blood. At what stage do I worry it’s impacted? I really don’t want to ring the GP if I don’t have to!

OP’s posts: |
concernedforthefuture Fri 03-Apr-20 13:41:55

When I had the same (hyperemesis - taking Ondansetron), I went 3 weeks without going. Dr (GP) wasn't concerned, but I was eating very little. Eventually he prescribed movicol which helped (although was difficult to keep down). Could be worth a phone call.

Bienentrinkwasser Fri 03-Apr-20 13:45:29

I honestly hate Ondansetron. It’s the only thing that stops me vomiting every hour but it makes my digestive system feel awful!

OP’s posts: |
concernedforthefuture Fri 03-Apr-20 17:19:41

If you can stomach it, prune juice helped massively. I found it more palatable if kept really cold. And don't forget lots of fluids (hard when you feel sick all the time but try ice lollies, jelly, etc).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »