Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

oh no... what to do when mummy goes ill?

(14 Posts)
fortunecookie Wed 12-Sep-07 08:31:21

Usually I can keep going but this feels like a bad one. Sore throat, aches & pains, headache, fever, cough... what can I take to get me through it?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 12-Sep-07 08:32:47

I've used emergency nannies, or pulling in favours, tbh. There's nothing like a rest to fix you.

(Alternatively, carry on as best you can in the day, then take Night Nurse or similar when the kids go to bed, and pass out.)

LilRedWG Wed 12-Sep-07 08:32:50

Day & Night Nurse capsules from the pharmacy. Always work enough for me to keep going.

fortunecookie Wed 12-Sep-07 09:24:52

Could I consider a hot whisky/lemon/honey at this hour?

fortunecookie Wed 12-Sep-07 09:31:12

Maybe not.

hotcrossbunny Wed 12-Sep-07 09:32:57

Definately. Then stick the tv on if your dcs are old enough to be glued to it for hours and doze with an eye open IYKWIM. Poor yousad

fortunecookie Wed 12-Sep-07 09:35:41

For the moment I'm getting my daily fix of MN but I have to get dressed soon to fetch the dc from school at 12. I also should be making some brownies to take along to a lunch we've been invited to. Being invited round to lunch is a rare occurance but today I would give anything to cancel.

seeker Wed 12-Sep-07 09:39:49

To work out the supplies you need for a days mummy illness, use this formula. Time til daddy gets home divided by the average length of a DVD = the number of dvds you need. It is fine for children to live on beans on toast for a day!

Drink lots of liquid - probably not hot whiskey til the sun's over the yardarm though.

hotcrossbunny Wed 12-Sep-07 09:40:07

Could you cancel? If you're poorly the last thing you need is being sociable and you'd keep your germs to yourself too.

fortunecookie Wed 12-Sep-07 09:46:19

I think it would be too rude to cancel at the last minute. It's not a mummy I know well. And I confirmed yesterday, when I just had the sore throat but not all the other crap. The dc are coming down with it, too. Could be an interesting rest of week. <sigh>

Furzella Wed 12-Sep-07 10:41:29

Cancel - mummies always understand lurgies and don't want to catch bugs either. Paracetemol, caffeine and loads of tea. Is there anyone you could farm the children off on after school for a couple of hours? I've taken the dcs to the cinema when I've been ill - not very good citizen behaviour I know, but it meant I didn't need to do anything for 2 hours and could nod off in the dark while some penguins danced.

SoupDragon Wed 12-Sep-07 10:43:11

I think it would be ruder to go when you're feeling cr*p. Mothers understand this sort of thing - cancel, rearrange (offer to host when better?) and slob at home.

Elibean Wed 12-Sep-07 11:50:27

agree: I would much, much rather a visiting mummie/child cancelled if feeling that ill. In fact, I'd not be too happy about a family coming down with nasty lurgy visiting without checking it out with me first (then again, I have a young baby).

Its the pits being ill and responsible for sick LOs at the same time, hope they fight it off and that you feel better soon!

fortunecookie Thu 13-Sep-07 11:53:07

As it turned out, my friend was ill with the same thing and her dc, too. We went anyway but now I regret it as I feel even worse. But it was great fun. Better to suffer together than suffer alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now