Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had appendicitis?

(9 Posts)
user786544443 Thu 02-Apr-20 15:28:28

What was the first symptom, and how did it progress? I have a doctor's appointment soon, am killing time worrying.

OP’s posts: |
Freeshavocado Thu 02-Apr-20 15:36:49

My first symptom was a stabbing pain in my belly button, didn't think much of it as even though it was painful it was bearable to begin with.
24 hours after that started i started with d+v, and out the belly button pain down to being a bug.
It was only a further 24 hours later when the sickness had stopped and the pain moved to my side that I realised what it could be. Saw a GP that evening and was admitted to A+E where they told me it wasn't appendicitis, I argued for them to let me stay over night and they did. The morning doctor agreed it was and sent me down surgery where it burst as they removed it!
I was in for 11 days due to it bursting but all being well you will be in and out OP fingers crossed for you.

Freeshavocado Thu 02-Apr-20 15:38:35

And despite the complications (including a further operation and having a drain in my stomach) I was fully recovered after 6 weeks.

Chocolatear Thu 02-Apr-20 15:45:43

Mine was a gradual pain which increased over a few days. General low abdominal pain to start with.

Eventually I felt slightly constipated and unable to stand up straight. I then went to see a doctor and was sent straight to hospital. I was in Australia at the time!

Freeshavocado Thu 02-Apr-20 15:49:45

Ah yes I couldn't stand up straight either, as soon as I got into the GPs office he said 'right before I ask you anything else, from the way you are walking I suspect appendicitis'.
And I was on holiday too, our last day so an 11 night stay in hospital was a nightmare.

Jemma2907 Thu 02-Apr-20 15:55:26

Mine came on really quickly. At about 9am I was wandering around Sainsburys when I started to feel a dull ache in my stomach. I started being sick at about 10am (just thought it was a stomach bug) and then by midday I had to call an ambulance as I was bent over in pain and couldnt stop being sick (and I mean I couldnt stop being sick long enough to talk at all) I had emergency surgery later on that day. It was crazy how quick it happened!

psychedelephant Thu 02-Apr-20 15:56:45

First symptom was mild burning in right pelvis, put down to ovulation pain (which is fair enough really, that's what it felt like), then I woke in the night with nausea and chills, went to the loo and felt better which is apparently a textbook symptom.

Pain wasn't really a big part of it. When I was on my way to have surgery and they bumped the gurney into a door I felt it but chills/nausea/loss of appetite were more of a problem.

Apparently my appendix was perforated and the biggest the surgeon had ever seen <proud>

Fingers crossed for you OP, hope you feel better flowers

SpeckledyHen Thu 02-Apr-20 16:03:05

Low abdomen pain when I got up . Progressed upwards as the day went on , nauseous, no appetite, turned to full on vomiting by 4 pm . Continued vomiting through the night , pain eased , visit to GP first thing diagnosed appendicitis and sent me to hospital . Consultant said not appendicitis as I looked too healthy ! Blood tests revealed it was , operated late that day , that’s when it all went pear shaped . Massive infection which is common when it bursts , took a full 6 weeks to recover . The worst time in my life .

Freeshavocado Fri 03-Apr-20 07:25:03

Hope you are ok OP thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »