What could be causing this pain?

(8 Posts)
Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Apr-20 11:38:24

I appreciate there are more pressing issues right now and I’m obviously not going to be contacting the doctors just now but I’ve had a strange pain in my left hip. It’s been around a month now. Originally I thought it was ovarian pain as it felt almost like period pain type twinge and was just above the hip bone. Wasn’t too concerned. However over the last week or so it has got worse and more frequent. I can pin point it to right on my hip bone.

Nothing makes it better or worse. I haven’t needed pain killers as it comes and goes and makes me go ‘owW that hurts’ but haven’t needed pain killers

I don’t have any medical conditions, fit and healthy, healthy weight etc?

OP’s posts: |
RedRed9 Thu 02-Apr-20 11:41:16

I have endometriosis and one of the first things I noticed was referred hip pain. I didn’t really have any of the symptoms so it took a long time to be diagnosed.

I’m not saying it’s definitely endometriosis but I’m just giving you my experience.

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Apr-20 11:56:03

Thanks for replying. I don’t have periods as I’m on cerazette. It’s definitely got worse this week/last few days. It feels like it could be bone pain ... I hope it’s nothing like arthritis ... I’m 38... and hope I have a few years before anything like that sets in!

RedRed9 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:02:05

You don’t need to have periods to have endometriosis. And my hip pain also felt like bone pain. Again, not suggesting you have endometriosis but sharing my experience just in case!

Do you have any family history of arthritis or anything like that?

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Apr-20 12:10:24

I have arthritis in my little finger which I’ve had for many years but hasn’t caused me any problems for a long time and only flares up when it’s cold and hasn’t done for years.

Nothing else that I know of....

What other symptoms would I possibly have if it was endo?

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Apr-20 12:14:13

Actually the pain has just come back and this time I have poked where the pain is and it is directly above the actual hip bone that sticks out so in the fleshy bit..

wonkylegs Thu 02-Apr-20 12:30:05

It could be lots of things - many benign and transient, so don't worry too much.
You may have knocked it and not realised, may have a bursa (painful & annoying but rarely a real problem) sprained something, pulled a muscle, have a slightly inflamed nerve and only doing certain things may aggravate it. If it's not too much bother now get it checked out once things get a bit more back to normal. Try having warm baths or ice packs sometimes they are better for direct immediate pain relief than tablets.
I do want to clear something up though arthritis doesn't really care about age I was diagnosed with severe RA at 19 and I'm now 41 - I have it throughout my body and until earlier this year thanks to some amazing meds generally under control. It is unlikely to start in your hips though - generally affects minor joints first.

Advertisement

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Apr-20 12:33:11

Thanks wonkey. Yes aware that arthritis doesn’t care how old you are as I have had it in my little finger since I was late teens. Haven’t had many problems with it though or anywhere else.

Yes I won’t be going to the doctors any time soon, not before all the Covid craziness has died down of course.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in