Talk

Advanced search

Athletes foot - any ideas?

(23 Posts)
severalboxes Thu 02-Apr-20 07:41:01

DD is 3.5. She has athletes foot on both feet, we've been treating it with 1% clomatrizole cream twice a day for about a month. Also giving daily salt water foot baths and getting her to air her feet out a lot. I'm a bit worried about the latter and potential to spread the fungus about.

It's a bit better but there are deep cracks where her little toes meet the foot and it's really sore for her.

I know this is not the kind of problem a GP needs to be bothered with right now. I wonder if anyone has any other ideas how we could shift it and make the cracking heal quicker/be less sore? Maybe sudocrem?

OP’s posts: |
Dilbertian Thu 02-Apr-20 08:08:23

Every free years I have athletes foot that I cannot shift using the regular creams. That's when I use a product called Lamisil Once. It works perfectly every time. I don't know what age it's suitable for, though.

Dilbertian Thu 02-Apr-20 08:09:10

Every few years, not free years.

ageingdisgracefully Thu 02-Apr-20 08:13:16

I have chronic athlete's foot and I find the powder (any one) more effective than anything. I just load it into my socks. It's under control in a day.

Makes helluva mess but hey ho.

severalboxes Thu 02-Apr-20 09:03:29

Thank you! I'll try scholls spray. It's horribly sore for dd having the cream on. confused

dementedpixie Thu 02-Apr-20 09:09:07

Maybe try lamisil gel. Maybe 1% clotrimazole isnt strong enough

dementedpixie Thu 02-Apr-20 09:10:38

Lamisil once seems just to be for over 18s

NigellaAwesome Thu 02-Apr-20 09:19:49

Does your dd have a lot of sugar in her diet? Perhaps reducing it would help.

dementedpixie Thu 02-Apr-20 09:34:50

Maybe try an athletes foot powder in her socks and shoes too

RosesandIris Thu 02-Apr-20 09:35:44

Tea tree oil. Never fails.

severalboxes Thu 02-Apr-20 14:01:06

Not masses of sugar @nigellaawesome

I'll see if we have some tea tree oil. Athletes foot powder might be tricky - she mainly wears tights (cotton ones) and we're not in shoes much these days!

Thanks all!

Dilbertian Thu 02-Apr-20 18:17:31

Still, put athletes foot powder in all her shoes, including wellies, slippers, everything. Even if she isn't wearing them ATM. This fungus is a bugger for hiding and chomping on you when you next wear those shoes!

LefttoherownDevizes Thu 02-Apr-20 18:19:44

Are you sure it's athlete's foot? Judy don't as I get eczema on my feet that presents birth as incredibly itchy blisters/peeling skin and cracks where the toes join. Anti fungal cream did nothing but steroids do.

Just a thought

severalboxes Fri 03-Apr-20 08:36:55

Mmn @LefttoherownDevizes the pharmacist said it looked like athlete's foot. She did get eczema-looking dry skin on her hands around the same time, I thought it was from virus handwashing regime at nursery, it's clearing up since she's been home. I'll bear in mind eczema as a possibility...

Will also get athlete's foot powder to spread around shoes - another reason to stop the baby from eating our shoes I guess! smile

Veterinari Fri 03-Apr-20 08:53:55

Clotrimazole is not effective against athletes foot.

She needs a cream with terbinafine in it, plus be rigorous about drying and avoiding soil as that's where the fungus lives (so no bare feet)

If it's very stubborn she may need a course of antifungal meds.
@ageingdisgracefully have you tried systemic antifungals?

Single2catsand1daughter Fri 03-Apr-20 08:55:57

My podarist recommends Vick Vapour Rub.

ageingdisgracefully Fri 03-Apr-20 09:12:22

vet no I haven't - as the powder seems to work I stick to that. I'll best it in mind though: thanks for the tip.

Elouera Fri 03-Apr-20 10:16:07

When she had it on her hands, was it blisters and was she also ill? Might possibly be foot and mouth disease?
www.nhs.uk/conditions/hand-foot-mouth-disease/

Otherwise, I'd go back to the pharmacist. A month is a long time to still have it.

severalboxes Fri 03-Apr-20 15:41:08

No, not hand foot and mouth, I know what that looks like. She hasn't been ill.

It has got better using clomatrizole, just not entirely cleared up. It'll be a battle not to have bare feet outside but so be it I suppose!

Oohmegooliebird Fri 03-Apr-20 20:41:58

She needs to see a doctor if not improving.
Could it be pompholyx eczema? Seems odd for a child that young to get AF

Veterinari Fri 03-Apr-20 21:35:23

Yup clotrimazole will damp it down but isn't as effective as terbinafine at curing it
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1679014/

ambereeree Sat 04-Apr-20 08:42:31

Tea tree oil a few drops Mixed with olive oil. Gentle for children as well. I get horrible itchy painful AF and it always clears it

rwalker Mon 06-Apr-20 21:03:28

dry her feet and between toes with hair dryer

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in