Talk

Advanced search

Rheumatoid Arthritis blood test

(6 Posts)
Parakeet88 Tue 31-Mar-20 20:18:29

I posted on here yesterday about my swollen finger, and had a video appointment with my doctor this evening. As soon as he saw my finger he said he thought it was probably rheumatoid arthritis, which was a bit of a shock. I'm 35, and thought I was too young for arthritis (a quick Google has told me otherwise)

Anyway he's told me I need to book a blood test to confirm it. I was a bit surprised as I thought all non-urgent tests were being postponed. I'm also not that keen on going to a hospital at the moment for obvious reasons and certainly don't want to burden the NHS.

I'm not sure whether to put it on hold for a few weeks. I'm not in pain and it's currently just in one finger. Any advice?

OP’s posts: |
Binglebong Tue 31-Mar-20 20:58:04

Please get it done. The sooner you get started on treatment the better the results.

To put it in perspective: I have RA markers. At my last rheumatologist appointment I was told even if I have no symptoms i will stay on his books for at least 3 years so that if I do get symptoms I won't need to ho through referrals and can get treated immediately. So until that point the nhs will cover the cost and time of me visiting a consultant twice a year just to speed it up if I do need it.

Please, get the blood test.

TheFutureMrsHardy Tue 31-Mar-20 21:01:23

My Dad has RA. His came from having a flu, pneumonia and shingles jab all in one session - his immune system went into overdrive. His RA markers were through the roof, and he's had a lot of medical appointments.

It isn't something you want to progress - early treatment will stop longer term damage. It can be horribly quick to progress.

Parakeet88 Tue 31-Mar-20 21:17:57

Gosh that's scary sad

Ok, I'll get the blood test, just amazed they're continuing with them at the moment.

Parakeet88 Tue 31-Mar-20 21:18:41

Thanks for your replies by the way

Binglebong Wed 01-Apr-20 00:53:44

Don't be scared, just be aware that it's one where you need to start the treatment sooner rather than later. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »