Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have the itchiest scalp - used T-gel but it's still driving me crazy!

(27 Posts)
Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 16:28:18

I have had it milder before, maybe 2 or 3 years ago but for the last week or so it's been on fire! No amount of itching will relieve it, just washed with T-gel and it's flared up again. Last time I had it it was after using Herbal Essences shampoo, and I used it again at my mums and this happened, but it's been a week or so now! What will make it go away?

FunkyGlassSlipper Tue 11-Sep-07 16:29:08

I had this when I switched to a tea tree oil shampoo. Reverted back to head & shoulders (boring i know) and in a few days it was fine again...

SoupDragon Tue 11-Sep-07 16:29:14

Maybe you have nits this time...

[snigger]

bossykate Tue 11-Sep-07 16:29:52

are you sure it's not headlice? sorry!

missgriss Tue 11-Sep-07 16:29:52

I've been using H & S for sensitive scalps and it seems to work for my chronic itchiness

missgriss Tue 11-Sep-07 16:30:26

Just to add, I most certainly don't have nits grin

Twiglett Tue 11-Sep-07 16:30:40

try warmed olive oil massaged into scalp just for a bit of relief?

Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 16:31:53

I was so scared someone would say lice or nits blush The day before I was around about 4 or 5 kids... OMG blush How would I know? I had shingles on my head before, that wouldn't itch would it?

FrannyandZooey Tue 11-Sep-07 16:32:25

I have this fairly frequently QP

(once it WAS headlice, you must check blush

I find the very mildest shampoos help - I use green people one called something like "basic" or "scent free" or seomthing - it has no nasties in at all

and when it gets very bad I use Selsun blue, which does help

Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 16:33:09

Will use H & S, I did change shampoo after using mums blooming herbal crap. Maybe it keeps flaring it up? <<hoping in vain it's not nits/lice!!)

Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 16:33:47

Do healice look like mini woodlice?

bossykate Tue 11-Sep-07 16:36:08

here

you did ask!

the reason i mention it is that this happened to me (the itchy scalp) just after i'd had my hair coloured and i assumed it was an allergic reaction to the colour... but <<ahem>> blush no...

Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 16:37:44

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurggggggggggghhh! OMG, if I have them how do I get rid? OMG OMG... I feel so violated! Will they drown if I put my head in the bath???

bossykate Tue 11-Sep-07 16:40:57

ok. totally get the yuck factor. hold on tight - you need to get someone to check your hair and scalp, preferably also combing through with a fine tooth comb.

bossykate Tue 11-Sep-07 16:41:32

btw it took about three attempts to find them in my v long dark hair (at the time, tis short and blonder now).

Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 16:41:55

Theres no one here until between 10 and 12 tonight...

Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 16:42:18

if I have them, are they biting me and burrowing in me??

bossykate Tue 11-Sep-07 16:43:51

is the itching localised? i.e. can you feel it especially towards the edges of your scalp?

indiasmum Tue 11-Sep-07 16:46:13

and suckng your blood lol grin....sorry couldnt resist hat 1

Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 17:10:26

it's everywhere.

Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 17:10:37

<<sob>>

bossykate Tue 11-Sep-07 17:12:39

that might be hopeful then, quootiepie. headlice congregate around the edges of the scalp. however, you should still check carefully just in case.

olivo Tue 11-Sep-07 17:13:19

QP - CALM!!grin
if it is just an itchy scalp, i found oilatum shampoo very good. quite expensive for a small bottle but use every time for a week and then jsut a couple of times a week.good luck.

Quootiepie Tue 11-Sep-07 17:20:13

It's beyond itchy, it's practically on fire. I have to sit with a really sore hairbrush for ages combing my scalp. What do nits do? Can I see them? Do they eat me?

FrannyandZooey Tue 11-Sep-07 17:22:41

Quootie, if you;ve been scratching and scratching then your scalp will be very irritated. As it heals it itches like mad.

You need to check for headlice, but I get this all the time when my scalp is irritated by something - and it only gets worse the more you scratch, until you change shampoo and also use something to calm it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now