Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR - Autism question

(10 Posts)
kay1981 Tue 11-Sep-07 12:26:30

First of all, I will now apologise as Im sure this has been done a million times before nad secondly, I apologise if I offend anyone with this question.

My DS is having his MMR on Thursday and what I want to know is what are the signs of autism and if (god forbid) something should happen, over what space of time should symptoms occur? I mean, how do you connect MMR and autism?

Just something that has been going through my mind

xx

goingfor3 Tue 11-Sep-07 12:28:23

I've heard people say that one of the first things they notice about autism is that here child stopped eye contact.

goingfor3 Tue 11-Sep-07 12:29:28

The reason why it's connected is because the autism signs show up at the same age as children have the mmr.

lljkk Tue 11-Sep-07 13:57:51

Language regression, and sudden huge anxieties about things that the child was previously confident about -- those are commonly cited as the immediately after symptoms that turn out to be part of autism. Plus maybe a high fever or other signs of illness, usually noticed by parents in the first few days or so after the jab.

As to how the jab and MMR may otherwise "connnect"... er, don't want to touch that question!

mummy2aaron Tue 11-Sep-07 14:02:19

There are plenty of threads on the special needs section about this if you get chance it;s worth having a look. If I were you I would read as much as possible about it and be totally sure that whether ds has it or not - you are totally happy with your decision. I have 3 children, 1 had both MMR and booster, 1 had MMR but no booster and one has had none. I agonised over each decision.

pagwatch Tue 11-Sep-07 14:03:39

With my son MMR to full on autism was just short of two months.
And I hadn't just 'noticed' he was autistic - he was developing fine and lost all skills including speech, babbling, eye contact, bowel control and all sorts of other stuff.
First symptom was huge lump at the site of the jab whoich remained hot for several days. Crabbiness progessed into more solitary play, eye contact dropped off, mood swings set in and hey presto.....

kay1981 Tue 11-Sep-07 16:42:12

Thanks everyone - pagwatch, I'm sorry if i came across as insensitive and I hope your family are well.

xx

mummy2aaron Tue 11-Sep-07 17:08:13

pagwatch - strange you said abou the lump, that happened to ds2 too.

pagwatch Tue 11-Sep-07 17:15:09

Kay1981 grin not at all ! I was just confirming really that this was not a case of coincidental timing.
My DS2 is a gorgeous creature and is always going to be pretty severe but is very happy boy and doing well.
Thanks for your comments anyway.

mummy2aaron. I have heard others say the same. And apparently my mum had a huge lump which left a substantial scar when she had smallpox vaccine as a child. ( doh - now she tells me - thanks mum!)

mummy2aaron Tue 11-Sep-07 17:18:03

Ds2 also has asd, he only had the first jab, i wouldnt let him have the booster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now