Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I have an abcces(sp) boil type thing under my arm, its huge and getting worse by the hour................

(25 Posts)
totaleclipse Tue 11-Sep-07 10:30:26

And now I can bearly lift my one arm, the other arm hurts and my ribs ache, feel like I have been hit by a advice needed, just need to grumblesad

Dropdeadfred Tue 11-Sep-07 10:31:06

mm..grumble away it sounds v v nasty! have you seen a GP/had treatment?

puff Tue 11-Sep-07 10:32:44

See if you can get an emergency appt at gp's. If not, I'd be inclined to go to A&E.

AngharadGoldenhand Tue 11-Sep-07 10:33:13

Horrible, aren't they?
I had one of these and cystitis!

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 11-Sep-07 10:34:16

Please go to A & E and get it sorted. They will drain it. Have had this 3 times before (first time was lanced by friends mum on holiday when 16 - no local anaesthetic - OUCH).

It will get it sorted. AB's dont work quick enough.

puff Tue 11-Sep-07 10:34:32

My brother had something similar a few years ago. It kept growing and had to be lanced at A&E. Hence my suggestion. Bleugh!

totaleclipse Tue 11-Sep-07 10:35:47

I have a condition where I am prone to them (I forget the name now) I always have at least 3 at a time, the only treatment is to be on antibiotics for life, which I dont want, occasionaly I get one this bad, but otherwise they are bearable, drinking Aloe Vera gel works to, but too expensive.

Neverenoughhandbags Tue 11-Sep-07 10:36:24

You need to see either your GP or A+E-the (presumed) abscess may need draining or if it is not at that stage yet, then it is worth ABs as draining it will leave a large scar. I suggest an emergency appt at your GP surgery.

Neverenoughhandbags Tue 11-Sep-07 10:37:04

Hidradenitis suppurativa?

totaleclipse Tue 11-Sep-07 10:37:59

Thats it, can never remember it, or pronounce itgrin

sarahgg Tue 11-Sep-07 10:38:07

totaleclipe, I have this condition too, I also can never remember its name - 'hdra' something? Am waiting for a date for an operation to remove tissue in affected area, only other solution is to have glands completely removed, LOVELY!

totaleclipse Tue 11-Sep-07 10:42:25

sarahgg, horrible is'nt it? I have heard the procedures you mention dont have a very high success rate, have you been told different?

Neverenoughhandbags Tue 11-Sep-07 10:42:26

Bad luck,AW, I agree long term antibiotics wouldn't appeal, and the alternative is to surgically remove the glandular area.
Might be worth, though, asking your GP to prescribe some ABs for you to keep at home so you can start them as soon as you feel an abscess is developing.
I hope you can sort it soon

Neverenoughhandbags Tue 11-Sep-07 10:43:18

So sorry Totaleclipse-got my threads mixed up and called you someone elses's name-my humble apologies!

Neverenoughhandbags Tue 11-Sep-07 10:43:59


totaleclipse Tue 11-Sep-07 10:44:06

I am a little bit worried that it seems to be causing my arms and ribs to ache so much, I assume its related, as I have'nt done any exersice, I will see a gp if I get a fever or temperature.

sarahgg Tue 11-Sep-07 10:44:51

totaleclipse, have had tissue removed three times, but surgeon says he wants to give it one more shot before more radical surgery. Don't really fancy full removal of glands, cos it involves skin grafts and major reconstruction, not great when you have two small kids to look after!

totaleclipse Tue 11-Sep-07 10:44:54

grin no worries.

totaleclipse Tue 11-Sep-07 10:49:48

Hve you tried this?

It really does work, but is very expensive, I bottle will last about 2 weeks, and its £18 a bottle, I bought 1 bottle last year, after 10 days, they all cleared up for the first time in years, it was recommended to me by someone on mumsnet actualy. It taste disgusting, you have to drink 30ml a day, I mixed it with pineapple juice and it was much better, I might see if I can cut back my finances somewhere to be able to afford this regularily.

sarahgg Tue 11-Sep-07 10:51:56

mmm, looks interesting, might give it a try. I also find green tea helps lessen the flare ups, but my consultant said 'rubbish!'. I am willing to try any think new, thanx

Neverenoughhandbags Tue 11-Sep-07 10:53:40

I hope you both find it works! Miserable condition!
Totaleclipse, you might be achey because the infection is flaring up-I'm sure you will know whan to get help so shan't nag!wink

totaleclipse Tue 11-Sep-07 10:54:03

My mum and her 2 brothers suffer from it too, one of her brothers swears by yeast tablets, but they did nothing for me.

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 11-Sep-07 11:34:38

I have had quite a few in my time. Usually under my arms, once on my face - double OUCH!

Also around my groin area.

They do hurt. Every time I get one I always get tested for diabetes......hmm

My brother has had several in his scrotum shock triple ouch!

totaleclipse Wed 12-Sep-07 09:42:17

Hmmmmmmmm, the pain has spread to my shoulder and neck now, I suppose I should get it seen too, I feel quite weak too, so its catch 22, I dont have the strengh to walk to the surgery <sigh>

sarahgg Wed 12-Sep-07 15:16:25

totaleclipse, did you make it to doctors? Any help? Sometimes having to hold your arm in a certain position causes strain else where. Can't think of a worse place to have it 'cos every movement you make, moves your arm. So difficult to get it in a comfortable position. I had it really bad once and developed septicimia cos fluid had leaked into my blood, not nice, am feeling completely miserable for you.
Please let me know that you are feeling better. LOL

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: