Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lactose Intolerence

(8 Posts)
jambuttie Mon 10-Sep-07 19:55:06

Hi, I am hoping I can find some answers here please.

DS2 has recently been diagnosed as Lactose Intolerant- we went to GP as he was very windy, smelly(vile really) and was suffering really bad tummy cramps and real bad runs too bless him.

Went to GP who has said yeah he is lactose intolerant.

We have tried soya milk which he wont take(no wonder it's awful lol) however have tried him on rice milk which he calls custard milk(it's lovely and smells great too)

At school today some mums say I need to look at other foods too to withdraw but I don't know where to start.

The info doc gave me said avoid milk, and use mature cheese.

Please can someone enlighten me as to what I cut out or do I look at everything I buy too?

Hope you can help

TIA

Jambuttie
x

PillockOfTheCommunity Mon 10-Sep-07 19:58:44

ds1 was intolerant, but has now grown out of it, and ds2 looks like he is too.

we avoided everything with milk in, cheese, yoghurt, the works

but i think you should really ask the GP to refer you to the paediatric dietician at your hospital, ours was lovely and a real help on what i should be cutting out

jambuttie Mon 10-Sep-07 20:03:04

it was suggested i stop chocolate too is that right?

DS2 doesnt eat a lot of chocolate but occasionally will have some- its all really confusing

BarbieGirl Mon 10-Sep-07 20:03:42

People that are lactose intolerant shouldn't really drink Soya milk either. You are right to give him rice milk and you can also buy LactoFree milk at the Supermarkets.

Look at the Free From range at your Supermarket - Sainsburys has a good range however the free from range are expensive. You should be able to get them on prescription. Didn't your Doctor mention that?

You will need to look at every food item you buy and see if they contain lactose - including medication.

shimmy Mon 10-Sep-07 20:03:49

ds2 and dh are too. We have played it by ear really. Ds2 can eat yoghurt, cheese, butter and foods with a little lactose eg. some biscuits. He can't eat milk, cream and creamy puddings, custard etc or icecreamsad. We find the milk called lactofree is fine with him and tastes much nicer than any alternatives.

BarbieGirl Mon 10-Sep-07 20:05:14

You can have plain chocolate (I think).

You need to speak to a Dietician about this - they will tell you what you can or cannot eat.

shimmy Mon 10-Sep-07 20:07:00

point I'm making is that lactose intolerance can be to different extents in different folks. it is not always necessary to cut out all lactose.

Dh (old enough to make his own choices) treats himself to creamy puddings etc occasionally. He just has to be aware that he canot travel anywhere or be in polite company for the next 12 hours hmm.

jambuttie Mon 10-Sep-07 22:07:23

Thanks guts for the advice will ask again at GP.

He sent us away saying ti stay away from milk, although soft cheese and yoghurt should be ok. We have given him soya yoghurt though

Will watch amd monitor all his intakes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now