Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

In Gourd We Trust - 10 / 10 club - all welcome

(879 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Mon 10-Sep-07 08:29:46

For anyone who wants a boost to their general health. The suggested goals are:

EAT 10 PORTIONS OF FRUIT AND VEGETABLES EVERY DAY - if you don't usually eat much fruit and veg I would build up gradually or you could upset your digestion.

DO (AT LEAST) 10 MINUTES OF EXERCISE EVERY DAY - can be yoga, stretching or something more energetic. The plan is that the idea of doing 10 minutes is not too daunting, and having started you may well find you want to do more.

There are no restrictions on what you eat so long as you get your 10 fruit and veg as well. The focus is not on weight loss but on improving our energy levels and hopefully our general mood and well-being. Sign up below and post here to tell us how you're getting on and how you are feeling.

Basic guidance on what constitutes a portion of fruit and veg here and you can download more detailed information by following the link at the very bottom of the page

FrannyandZooey Mon 10-Sep-07 08:33:16

Have eaten apple, pineapple, grapes, raisins.

It looks rainy here.

TollockyBoss Mon 10-Sep-07 08:41:12

It's a gourd-geous day here [groan] I am going to run wild on the allotment and pick lots of berries for brekkie.
TT - I used to love UB40. That is to say, hey are probably still good but I have not played an album of theirs since 1986!)

Eva Cassidy? [meh] I always feel one ought to like her because she has a nice voice and was ppretty and died young. etc. But actually, I don't. I'd rather idolise Sandy Denny....

IdrisTheDragon Mon 10-Sep-07 08:47:03

Whoops. Just posted in the wrong place. Obviously not enough fruit yet.

Here it is again.

Hello smile.

What exactly are gourds? I seem to remember having to sketch one in an art lesson when I was 14. It was a very bad drawing. And may not have been a gourd anyway.

Fruit is being eaten. A danish pastry has obviously not been eaten blush.

TollockyBoss Mon 10-Sep-07 08:55:50

(Idris - I find that if a danish pastry has, say, raisins in, or a strawberry on top, it ammeliorates the guilt wink)

Lullabyloo Mon 10-Sep-07 08:56:27

Morning troops
Ds is parading around with a savoy cabbage leaf on his head....it is a crown & he has declared himself King of the Vegetables hmm...I think he is more of a 20/20 er
My grandparents are up at the moment..they will be here for breakfast in a mo as B&B breakfast is fried tat & yucky dry museli.
Ds & I have been up for hours & made mango,banana,lime,macademia & coconut muffins & fruit loaf ,a large summer berry salad & yoghurt & granola.

I have had carrot,ginger & apple juice &.....some kent cob nuts bought from a roadside stall yesterday...they are actually quite delicious.

IdrisTheDragon Mon 10-Sep-07 08:56:44

Hmm - sadly no such useful and guilt removing fruit.

But the fruit salad is helping smile.

MamaG Mon 10-Sep-07 08:57:24

LOL at king of veg grin

TollockyBoss Mon 10-Sep-07 08:58:31

LL - please will you adopt me?

lionheart Mon 10-Sep-07 09:50:19

Good morning. smile Also posted this on the wrong thread so I will have to say it again.

I heart, heart, heart Joni, although, admittedly, not that particular song.

Have had an apple and banana (well, it's a start).

And also, Gil was far too drippy for spunky Anne IMHO.

SauerKraut Mon 10-Sep-07 11:09:15

Why does that sound rude, Lionheart, or have I just got an utterly filthy mind?!! (Probably the latter, I have 5 very rude brothers...)
LL, where do you find your recipes? I am particularly interested in wholefood ones.
I have had pear, and am currently cooking lentil stew with spaghetti squash and broccoli.

aviatrix Mon 10-Sep-07 11:24:15

Message withdrawn

aviatrix Mon 10-Sep-07 11:26:07

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Mon 10-Sep-07 11:35:03

Oh don't send him, then

I was desperate - I was going bonkers, and he seemed to want some interaction with other children and adults without me breathing down his neck

I am more or less taking him out at the moment, except for 2 sessions which I need for work. I have arranged for a friend with a child to have him for one further session a week, while I'm working. He much prefers that. But I have to pay her, and nursery is free hmm

I am wondering about looking around for a different place, but there isn't anywhere that different that I can get to. And they are pretty good about not 'teaching' at this nursery, it's just he likes being with one adult that he knows very well, and the whole superhero guns type play that he comes home with all the time. It's kind of boring.

lionheart Mon 10-Sep-07 11:52:04

It is YOU, SK.

As for blaming your brothers like that, you need to own your filth.

Is this a nursery avi?

lionheart Mon 10-Sep-07 11:54:20

Oh, avi, I've just seem it on the other thread. Are there any other nurseries on your list?

3andnomore Mon 10-Sep-07 12:46:53

MOrning all,
like the title...but what is/are gourds, lol?
Well, so far I have had 1 peach, 1 small pineapple and a small amount mixed vegetables (in the last of my left over pasta)...so a few mushrooms/peppers/courgettes...roughly one portion , lol!
Yannic was so very very pleased to put his schooluniform on this morning and to go to big school properly, for teh very first time...bless....he was ready by 8am, asking me every other minute if it was time to leave yet, lol!
Flynn is a bit unwell...bit of a cough and cold going on there...hopefully he will shake it off soon!
OH, and who is Eva Cassidy?

Avi, sorry to hear that you are not keen on the Nursery/pre-school....in this area we actually have people complaining that the Nursery and pre school don't actively get them to write....I really don't get it at all...I mena, for me they are so little, they are meant to learn through play....who cares if they can write or read....sigh....
Hm...and tmi about you boiling your mooncup...lololol....

TB...I just got your name...duh...gosh, I need to engage my brain more...

Idris...hm, danish pastries...and glad you didn't know what gourds are, neither...

Lullaby...hm.....those muffins sound to die for...honestly, you should create a recipe book..you'd make loads of money....well...I would buy one anyway, and am sure I am NOT the only one.
And how cute is your little ds...King of vegetables...bless...

Lol, I htink lionheart should be awarded for "quote of the week"....you need to own your filth.....indeed....

Boco Mon 10-Sep-07 12:46:54

I just took my dd to look at a pre-school. It's so shabby - in a totally knackered portakabin - but they were so nice and the kids were all engrossed in sticking and painting and making things in small happy groups. They can eat their snack when they feel like it, they don't have to join in with anything, they can choose whatever they want to do. Dd was off, she did 2 paintings and played with a group of boys making a lego zoo, then did a bit of sand and water play, and then cried when it was time to go home. Just going to send her for one morning atm, until i get the vouchers next term.

Had a nectarine and some raisins and a salad for lunch.

aviatrix Mon 10-Sep-07 12:48:12

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Mon 10-Sep-07 12:51:55

It'll be free, when he is 3

the guns thing is endemic

FrannyandZooey Mon 10-Sep-07 12:52:52

Boco, sounds nice

ernest Mon 10-Sep-07 12:53:43

well I was super good and had a salad of cherry toms, cucumber, raw broccoli & tofu with a humous dressing.

Unfortunately the boys' lunch was not quite so good blush

any ideas for QUICK meals? twice a week they have pm school so , given they walk at snail's pace, they have hardly any time to eat & me v. little to prepare & twice a week they have swimming, and we don't get in til 6.30, so I also don't want to spend ages cooking then as it's already so late.

They end up eating crap so much cos I've got no ideas left as well as them being so fussy.

may take me some time to remember everybody, sorry, tha's if I may join of course. I'm still waiting to be taken firmly in hand (she says, pleading)

3andnomore Mon 10-Sep-07 12:56:54

Boco, sounds like your lil one enjoyed it then

Avi...obviously no nursery will allow toy guns etc...but sadly tehre will always be children still pretending....and they do try to discourage that, I would think, but it can't always be avoided...

my lil ones do pretend gun play...but it is because my 11 year old and his friends someitmes play it and well...what can you do.
I personally don't make an issue out of it, tbh...as a) dh is int eh armed Forces....so, it would be difficult to explain that, lol...and b) I think it's a natural part of growing up...I rememebr playing war and indian and cowboy...but certianly would not class myself as an agressive person and hate guns with a vengeance, etc...

FrannyandZooey Mon 10-Sep-07 13:00:18

LOL ernest. Shall we do the initiation ritual on her chaps? Or just....let her in

I reckon if the children see you eating healthily at every meal they will want to try at least some of it. Or one of them will. Or something. It's worth a go, anyway. For quick meals I swear by cooking in advance and freezing - have inflicted this idea on everyone with a thread about it - will link

3and I know what you mean. But [sigh]

FrannyandZooey Mon 10-Sep-07 13:01:53

bulk cooking thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now