Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS advice please

(11 Posts)
LeilaAndLeo Sun 09-Sep-07 11:10:13

Good Morning all. I am after some advice please. I suffer terribly with IBS and My symtoms include bloating, wind, constipation alternating with Dihorrea, constant grumbling noises which can be very embarrassing when in a room full of people and it is silent - as you can imagine.

To date I have tried Aloe Vera juice and Fybogel - but no joy. A friend mentioned Peppermint oil capsules for the bloating/wind - anyone tried these?

I have also been eliminating foods from my diet such as Dairy and Wheat for several weeks to see if it makes any difference. It did help a bit with the bloating but my IBS symptoms were still there.

Please can anyone recommend something for me?? I start a new job soon which will invlove attending meetings and I don't want my stomach grumbling all the time - it is so embarrassing. I also have to endure slepless nights because of the trapped wind causing me pain.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

LeilaAndLeo Sun 09-Sep-07 13:35:22

bump smile

EscapeFrom Sun 09-Sep-07 13:36:50

reduce your stress as far as possible - my IBS has all but cleared up[ since exp left.

Seriously, this is the only thing that works for me!

Katymac Sun 09-Sep-07 13:39:46

Peppermint oil helps
Redusing stress helps

I am sensative to artificals (colour/flavour/sweetner) so if I cut them out my IBS is almost nonexistant (apart from 3 days before my period when I have awful diahorrea - I take paracetamol with codiene on the worst days it helps my period pain and solidifies everything)

slim22 Sun 09-Sep-07 13:41:22

pepermint oil work for a while........best is to reduce stress. Go for yoga and try the danone 14 day challenge.
I find 1 live yogurt every morning works pretty well

KD73 Sun 09-Sep-07 13:43:46

DP suffers with IBS and swears by a fromage frais every day to keep it at bay - Good luck

KaySamuels Sun 09-Sep-07 13:44:27

hI LandL, I have IBS same symptoms asyours and found a few things that work...

Yakult each day (stopped this due to the cost but found them effective) (£2.50-£3 a week?)

A mutli vitamin and mineral suupplement with pro and prebiotic from asda which is £2.48 for a month) These are fantastic, if I miss it in a morning I notice the difference the same day, even have dp on them!

I have tried peppermint oil capsules from boots too - eased my ibs symptoms slightly but gave me awful indigestion so I stopped.

My symptoms are worse when stressed too, so may flare up on first week of your job regardless of any treatments you are trying, try not to worry too much if they do.
HTH smile

KaySamuels Sun 09-Sep-07 13:46:13

I wondered about thedanone 14day challenge too.... may give it a go. smile

LeilaAndLeo Sun 09-Sep-07 13:51:30

Thanks All. I eat natural bio yogurt every morning - that's the same as the danone stuff isn't it?

I know that stress is the biggest contributor to my symtoms, I just find it so hard to relax. I might look into doing yoga. Not sure if my local centre do it though.

KerryMum Sun 09-Sep-07 13:56:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BarbieGirl Mon 10-Sep-07 16:54:50

My siser suffers with ibs she avoids wheat, dairy and spicy foods. she also has had to give up the booze. wish I could grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now