Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Had a call from my mum tonight, my grandad is critically ill in hospital

(25 Posts)
TheQueenOfQuotes Sat 08-Sep-07 23:32:00

and they don't know if he's going to pull through this time sad.

Was taken in last night with another chest infection and seemed to be ok this morning, but apparently he deterioated this afternoon and has got fluid around the heart. And I there's no way I can get down to Bristol to see him sad.

alycat Sat 08-Sep-07 23:33:31

I'm so sorry, thinking of you all.

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sat 08-Sep-07 23:35:45

If you do decide to go to Bristol and you need a free bed overnight. E-mail me.

Bubble99 Sat 08-Sep-07 23:35:50

Sorry to hear this, QOQ. x

princessandthepea Sat 08-Sep-07 23:35:59

So sorry, if you can't get to him he'll still know that you're thinking of him

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sat 08-Sep-07 23:36:13

I meant en route as I live in Surrey.

startouchedtrinity Sat 08-Sep-07 23:37:45

So sorry xx

mylastrolo Sat 08-Sep-07 23:40:40

will keep him in my prayers for you hope he is ok.

onlyjoking Sat 08-Sep-07 23:41:40

sorry to hear about your grandad

TheQueenOfQuotes Sat 08-Sep-07 23:42:50

thanks everyone - he's been in out of hospital with chest infections for the last year or so - and we nearly lost him last year but he always seems to keep pulling through - but he's 94 so I just know it's only a matter of time before he doesn't make it. And last time he was really really ill mum never called me to let us know as soon as she found out, as the prognosis from the hospital didn't seem as bleak.

I was hoping that we'd all go down in the half term in October - so that he can meet DS3 - but I have a horrible feeling it's going to be too late by then sad.

onlyjoking Sun 09-Sep-07 00:13:39

i will keep everything crossed for you.

TotalChaos Sun 09-Sep-07 00:17:11

sorry to hear this, hope that he improves overnight.

Califrau Sun 09-Sep-07 00:17:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 10-Sep-07 19:31:10

not good news I'm afraid - I'm currently in the middle of making plans to make a trip down to Bristol tomorrow - only be a "there and back in one day" visit but at least I'll be able to get down. I just hope I make it in time - my parents have been told anything from a few hours to a few days sad/

rantinghousewife Mon 10-Sep-07 19:36:48

Really sorry to hear this, thinking of you.

onlyjoking Mon 10-Sep-07 19:39:15

sorry to hear this. glad you are going to go and see him.

sparkler Mon 10-Sep-07 19:40:50

sad - thinking of you and your family at this worrying time. xx

Pinkchampagne Mon 10-Sep-07 19:43:53

Sorry to hear about your grandad.sad

sparkler Tue 11-Sep-07 11:52:42

How's your grandad QOQ?

littlelapin Tue 11-Sep-07 11:54:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onlyjoking Tue 11-Sep-07 15:26:35

Did you get to see your Grandad?

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 12-Sep-07 12:16:38

yes I did - you know how stubborn I am....I thihnk I get it from my grandad. 2 days ago he was given hours/days to live his kidneys had stopped working and it was a case of throwing all the drugs they had at him to try and kick start them, or simply waiting for the rest of the organs to shut down - yesterday when I got there his kidneys had started working again, and he was a lot better (though still in ICU). Was really good to see him - although I got into trouble for not taking the baby with me smile.

The consultant has re-ordered the blood test he had done on Monday as it came back completely clear - but on Saturday he had a blood infection hmm - he says it's either a miracle, or the samples got mixed up somewhere along the line. He also got/had (not sure which not particularly "up" on my medical terms) pulmonary oedema too.

Obviously things could suddenly take a turn for the worst again (having worked in care with elderly people I know that often they seem to start making a great recovery and then deteriorate and die quite quickly afterwards) but for the time being things are stable smile.

sparkler Wed 12-Sep-07 12:17:43

QOQ - that's wonderful news. I've been thinking of you and hoping things were ok. xx
smile

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 12-Sep-07 12:38:10

all in all it cost me (well my parents actually blush as they refunded me the money) £100 to go down for the day.........so I've told him he's got to wait at least until the end of the month before he goes (he's very matter of fact about the fact that he could die very soon) as it'd cost my parents probably twice that for all 5 of us to go down for his funeral .......he said he'd do his best to hang on until half term - on the condition that we took DS3 down to see him (my DS's are his only great-grandchildren, and DB and I his only grandchildren).

Still worried that he could go quite soon, but very glad that I managed to get down to see him and spent an afternoon listening to his cheeky banter smile

sparkler Wed 12-Sep-07 12:49:11

Aw bless him. Sounds like he as a wonderful sense of humour. smile
Ah well, what's £100 when you got to spend that special time with him? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now