Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Steve not very well at all today, Doctor has just been out to him

(202 Posts)
onlyjoking9329 Sat 08-Sep-07 20:56:03

he was in a lot of pain yesterday which has not improved today. he is much more confused so it is difficult to find out what is going on. his sight is much worse too and he is quite wobbly.
The doctor phoned the hospital and talked to them about it. the doc has given him a morphine injection and he is to go back on the steriods, which he has just been weaned off. the doctor will phone in the morning to see how he is. he is tucked up in bed now.

emkana Sat 08-Sep-07 20:57:15

I'm sorry to hear that, hope he feels better soon.

Blandmum Sat 08-Sep-07 20:57:19

Oh, shit, shit, shit

What are they doing for his pain on a more regular basis?

emkana Sat 08-Sep-07 20:57:29

How are you keeping?

controlfreakybackfromherhols Sat 08-Sep-07 20:57:54

sad.
you must be v worried oj. it all sounds really hard physically an emotionally. thinking of you. hope tomorrow is better for you all.

expatinscotland Sat 08-Sep-07 20:57:58

Oh, joking. I'm sorry to read this.

I wish you a restful night.

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sat 08-Sep-07 20:58:03

Oh sweeheart...sad

When this episode passes you need to get all the legal stuff in place.

Sorry to sound harsh, but it will be easier in the long run. Wish I was closer.

LilyLoo Sat 08-Sep-07 20:58:27

Oh Oj i am so sorry , i really dont know what to say, are you on your own now ? Are the dc's in bed?

kid Sat 08-Sep-07 20:59:01

really sorry to hear that, hope the morphine helps him have a comfortable night and that the Dr/hosp can do more for him tomorrow

kitsandbits Sat 08-Sep-07 20:59:06

How are you?

I hope Steve has a peaceful night x

Blandmum Sat 08-Sep-07 20:59:45

Do you have direct access to the oncology unit, or do you have to go via your GP?

That have given dh a 'Green Card' that less us bypass all the hold ups, and get him treated asap. Did you have to wait a long time for the doc to come?

onlyjoking9329 Sat 08-Sep-07 21:00:53

they didn't mention long term pain relief, but they will need to do something as i can't manage like this, it is so sad to see him suffering but yet not be able to tell me about it.

berolina Sat 08-Sep-07 21:02:18

I hope his night is comfortable.

LilyLoo Sat 08-Sep-07 21:04:45

OJ i really think he needs his steroids for the pain and to keep him more comfortable and stable. Hopefully they will be able to sort something out with them tommorrow.

Blandmum Sat 08-Sep-07 21:04:52

Sweetheart, you have to. We got in the same situation and I remember just how awful it was. Dh was writing in pain and vomiting bile. It was wait 4 hours for the doc to come or phone an ambulance, so I rang 999.

It was the worst point in this whole horrible time. I felt so scared and powerless, and sick with worry for dh, and simply didn't know what to do. THis was before we were linked up with the macmillan team.

And they sorted out the pain and the nausea. And Lyn was 100% sure that they would, and they did.

You *have to get this in place darling.

god i wish there were something I could do for you.

onlyjoking9329 Sat 08-Sep-07 21:04:53

the kids are in bed, i got them off to bed at 7 as didn't want them upset, phoned the doc at 7 he came very quickly.
steve had his op almost five weeks ago, i am thinking that regrowth has started

Callmemadam Sat 08-Sep-07 21:05:59

Oj, I am so sorry - wish there was something I could DO for you both but there isn't anything...sad just here for you....

Blandmum Sat 08-Sep-07 21:08:41

OJ, you know I'm not one to sugar coat this topic sad but atm you don't know that there is re-growth. and as we both know, even if there is, there is nothing either of us can do about it. But his pain and discomfort can be sorted.

God what a bastard disease

Ellbell Sat 08-Sep-07 21:09:28

I am so sorry to hear this, OJ. I am sending you love and strength. I hope Steve manages to rest tonight.

LilyLoo Sat 08-Sep-07 21:11:53

oj can you contact Mcmillan on Steves behalf now even though he isn't keen this is too much for you to do on your own and they are fabulous.

KerryMum Sat 08-Sep-07 21:11:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blandmum Sat 08-Sep-07 21:13:32

I can understand that steve doesn't want the macmillan people involved, but you can keep going like this. It is too much for you (or anyone) to cope with alone.

and if he feels better, both of you can deal with the situation more effectivly

onlyjoking9329 Sat 08-Sep-07 21:13:46

i am thinking regrowth as he has got much worse over the last few days we know it will regrow but don't know how quickly.
i am hoping that the steriods will help.

Budababe Sat 08-Sep-07 21:14:43

Oh God OJ. Am so so sorry. You must feel so helpless.

It really really is a bastard disease.

Blandmum Sat 08-Sep-07 21:15:32

I know that all tumours vary, but the doctor told us that when dh's tumours start to grow the timescale will be as it was at the start of the symptomes. I'm not sure if that helps you at all sad

But you can't deal with this. I know just how horrible it is and how awful it feels

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now