Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

vitiligo,any experience of it running in families?

(10 Posts)
brimfull Fri 07-Sep-07 21:11:32

dh has is quite extensively.He is normally quite dark skinned .Dd is the same and has voiced concern that she may get it aswell.

I am hoping it isn't normally hereditary.

brimfull Fri 07-Sep-07 21:37:40

anyone?

evilreturns Fri 07-Sep-07 21:40:03

i don't know the answer for definite, but dh has it on his hands. ds has a couple of patches on his face that only show up in the summer, dd1 has nothing and dd2 has a pigmentless patch about the size of a 50p on her back. we are all white.

tbh although dh's can be quite noticable in the summer it doesn't both any of us which is why we have never investigated it.

sorry that is not helpful blush

evilreturns Fri 07-Sep-07 21:40:33

*doesn't bother, that should be blush

brimfull Fri 07-Sep-07 21:46:01

thanks evilreturns,I have been googling it and it appears to be genetic in some and not others.Dh has is quite extensively on his face,and elbows and back.His skin is quite dark naturally.

Dd,15yrs has a patch of white pigmented skin on her leg which she assumes is a birthmark,but is praying it's not the start of vitiligo.She has the same dark skin as her father.

Have your dc's had it since birth?

evilreturns Fri 07-Sep-07 21:50:24

i think so, but dh only developed it in his 20's. no other family history AFAIK. sorry can't be more help, am bit blush that i don't know much about when most of my family appear to have it to some degree!

brimfull Fri 07-Sep-07 21:54:30

vitiligo society are looking for volunteers for research will hopefully get dh to do it.

We are quite ignorant about it aswell considering dh has had it for about 15yrs!

evilreturns Fri 07-Sep-07 21:58:10

that's really interesting ggirl, thanks!have to go now but will look at it in more detail tomorrow. hope things work out ok for you

Anchovy Fri 07-Sep-07 21:58:46

My mother had it quite seriously. None of her 3 children have it at all and none of her 3 grandchildren. Having said that, I had that "chloasma" (?sp) - pregnancy pigmentation - quite badly and it has still not faded completely (youngest child is nearly 4). No idea if it is related in a dodgy pigmentation way (don't have time to go to the dr re things that are not actually arterial bleeding!)

brimfull Fri 07-Sep-07 22:00:12

That's hopeful Anchovy,hope dd doesn't get it,she has beautiful dark skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now