Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

travel sick...what age do they start?

(8 Posts)
lulabelle Fri 07-Sep-07 16:54:58

just wondered, DS is 6 this month, so far so good, if he was going to get it would he have by now? we are doing a long journey tomorrow and I'm an emetophobe as well as a worrier, so you can imagine I'm getting a little anxious blush

putitdown Fri 07-Sep-07 17:10:35

my sisters litlle boy started at 4

clumsymum Fri 07-Sep-07 17:11:54

DS is 8 and has never had it, altho' now and then hehas to stop reading in the back of my Astra.

Not all kids do, I was dreadful, couldn't go 5 miles if I knew we were going a long journey.

I think modern cars are much better tho' and booster seats help them see out of the window all the time, which helps loads.

BettySpaghetti Fri 07-Sep-07 17:13:04

A friends DS was 3.

I used to get travel sick but not throughout my whole childhood -there was spell of a couple of years when I was about 6-8 I think.

LIZS Fri 07-Sep-07 17:14:17

dd was until last year following on from baby reflux - touch wood - she's now 6 !

Mercy Fri 07-Sep-07 17:14:40

Both of mine were 3.5 when they started (we discovered ds was travel sick on our hoilday last week sad)

Sea bands work very well ime.

Katsma Fri 07-Sep-07 21:58:04

If he is sick in the car though, don't call it car/travel/motion sickness in his earshot.

There's evidence to suggest that if a child associates the sickness with the car, it is more likely to happen again. Some children end up being sick at the prospect of a car journey before they even get in.

Agree about looking out of the window, though looking forwards through the windscreen is far better than looking out of a side window with all that view whizzing past iyswim.

schilke Sat 08-Sep-07 07:44:56

My ds2 was about 4 when it started. As Katsma said, my ds2 automatically associates the car with feeling sick. We try not to say anything about and positionhim well in the car. Have a plastic pot with a lid ... just in case! (We keep that hidden from him too) We also drugged him for our 4 hour holiday trip. It worked well - think they were called Traveleze. Wouldn't normally, just that it ws such a long trip for him. My other children are fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now