Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Do I go to work?(9 Posts)
Sorry, wasn't sure where best to post this, (might get different response on work / pregnancy / staff room boards?).
I appear to have some sort of bug. Coughing, sneezing, runny nose, loss of appetite. Some high temperature and dizzy spells too but these aren't constant.
I haven't travelled, or been in contact with anyone that has (as far as I know), plus I had a flu vaccine before Christmas. I don't think it's anything major, but I feel rough and it's really annoying.
I was off work Thursday & Friday last week as I felt unwell (slept all day Thursday) and DC had been sent home from school with the same thing. I expected to be back in work on Monday, but have been feeling worse over the weekend rather than better.
DC has improved but cough still sounds nasty (especially at night). They are keen to go back to school. I'm tempted to send DC back in, as they don't look too bad, but not sure if the cautious school staff would send them home again.
Ideally I could do with going back to work tomorrow, I have deadlines to meet and already feel bad about being off at the end of last week. I expect to feel awful but could give it a go. I'm just not sure what is best for my colleagues; they'll either be short staffed if I'm off, or at risk of catching whatever bug I've got if I go in. Also, I work in a school, and although I'm sure it's just a normal bug, I doubt the pupils & parents want me coughing and sneezing all over the place considering all of the Coronavirus worries at the moment.
I wasn't expecting it to last this long, but I'm pregnant so that may be slowing down the recovery I suppose.
I'm guessing I'll feel guilty whether I go in or not, but just interest; what would you do?
It's up to you ultimately but possibly give it one more day if you still feel the same in the morning.
One continuous absence is better than going back in and then being off for a second time.
We all need to start taking sick leave from work and school if at all unwell. It’s not worth the risk at the moment.
See how you feel tomorrow morning. Don't push yourself too hard though, it might be best to have another day off. I do hope you feel better soon.
Thanks everyone. Hopefully an early night will help but I'll just have to see how it goes.
Your Immune system is a bit exaggerated sometimes when pregnant. I'd take another day off. It won't be this virus as there's no runny nose with it but it sounds like you're not well yet.
If you feel worse then definitely no.
In the end my body made the decision for me; I've had an awful night, been awake for most of it. Spent most of the time feeling really cold, but now swung to the other extreme and feeling far too hot. Wouldn't be able to function fully in work, and spent much of the night panicking about all of the ways I may infect my colleagues so looks like I'm at home for a bit longer.
Thanks for all the responses. I've never been off work for more than a day or two so was feeling super guilty.
As we have cases of covid-19 with no known travel then please follow the official advice and keep both you and your child at home. I hope you both feel better soon.