Talk

Advanced search

Argh! I've got a boil.(might be tmi)

(12 Posts)
longearedbat Sun 01-Mar-20 11:37:55

You would think, given the size of the thing, I would have noticed it before it became so large, but... I was getting dressed yesterday and I thought it was my knicker elastic cutting in. Had a look, and there in my groin is this huge red spot. It is slightly larger in circumference that a one p piece and is the shape of a small volcano. It is very red, but has not come to a head. I have hot wet clothed it a couple of times, and have cobbled up a dressing (very awkward area). This morning, the base of it has elongated. (Viewing it properly means lying legs akimbo and using a mirror and a torch; very elegant!). Dr Google says they only need medical attention if they are much bigger than this (like 2 inch circumference) and/or you feel unwell, which I don't. Would you bother a gp or nurse with this, or would you wait and see?
Sadly, google (and common sense) tell me not to try and pop it, but if it ripens, it might be too much to resist...

OP’s posts: |
wafflyversatile Sun 01-Mar-20 11:39:39

Give it a little go. Go on. You know you want to.

DDIJ Sun 01-Mar-20 11:41:35

Could you try a bit of magnesium sulphate to bring it to a head?

Palavah Sun 01-Mar-20 11:42:49

Stick a warm)hot flannel on it for a bit

DDIJ Sun 01-Mar-20 11:43:41

Do not pop it unless it is ready to go!

FlyingWithTheDevil Sun 01-Mar-20 11:44:59

Oh my god. Sounds amazing albeit a bit painful. Good luck

Dancingfairydreams Sun 01-Mar-20 11:48:04

Hot bath with Epsom salts, itll slowly soften & reduce in size, small pressure with a hot flannel will ease popping if you do want to go down that route

BecauseReasons Sun 01-Mar-20 11:52:12

I stick a plaster over them. Prevents rubbing and eases the pain. Also stops the pus spreading when it ruptures. Soak the plaster off in the bath daily and apply a fresh one- do not pull the plaster off! 😶

BecauseReasons Sun 01-Mar-20 11:53:06

Oh, and if you're plastering, get a plaster with the biggest cotton pad, you don't want the adhesive to touch the boil.

lunar1 Sun 01-Mar-20 11:57:07

I'd have a hot bath and squeeze it, I'd advise a friend to get it checked properly!

BecauseReasons Sun 01-Mar-20 11:59:30

If you're popping it, use a sterile needle and wait until there is a head. Needle in one side of the head, out the other and pull upwards. Less trauma to the surrounding tissue, less pain.

longearedbat Sun 01-Mar-20 13:01:58

Thanks all. Yes I think a bath or two might be the thing - I have only showered for years, so that will be a novelty. I am bathing it with very hot water and a clean cloth. I have managed to make a dressing with gauze and micropore tape. Thanks for the hints about popping it. I am hoping it does come to a head and doesn't just fade back down. Honestly, I have never in my life had such a big one! I am grateful it is only very slightly tender too.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »