Talk

Advanced search

Tranexamic Acid for heavy bleeding - amazing stuff!!

(7 Posts)
Usernamealreadyexists Sat 29-Feb-20 10:28:43

Just posting in case this is useful for for anyone with very heady periods.

I have had very heavy bleeding for the past years - soaking though bedding, clothes, blood pouring out when I sit in the loo. Doctor gave me a prescription for Tranexamic Acid as I don’t want hormonal medication and I’m traveling longhaul soon.

Tried it last week and can’t believe the difference it made with zero side effects. I’d say bleeding reduced by 50-60% and period over after third day. Fewer pads, no night waking to change pjs, bedding etc. It’s not a long term solution but great for travel.

OP’s posts: |
janed9388 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:37:34

I agree it is brilliant but I have only used it for one month so far. But you shouldn't take it just before or after flying (1 week either way my GP said) due to increased risk of thrombosis so if your travel doesn't include flying then it's great otherwise you may need to re-think.

BeroccaFiend Sat 29-Feb-20 10:40:26

I agree, OP, but don't assume it's an indefinite miracle cure. I've taken it for almost two years, and last month, despite taking it as usual, I had an incredibly heavy 24-day period.

Lemons1571 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:39:26

I agree, I’ve been using it long term though. GP has never declined the repeat prescription request. Also didn’t know about the issue with flying - will bear that in mind!

BeyondReasonablyDoubtsLots Sat 29-Feb-20 20:38:17

DP had no luck with it at all, still bleeding through and bleeding still lasts seven days plus. Waiting to see the gynae now...

RandomMess Sat 29-Feb-20 20:46:31

Didn't work out for me as can only take for three days in a row and as soon as I stopped the flooding was back as I tended to have 7 day periods.

Ended up with womb ablation which fortunately worked for me!

Usernamealreadyexists Sat 29-Feb-20 23:06:23

Thanks all for sharing your experiences. Oh I didn’t know that about flying!! My period (and the worst of it) will coincide with departure day. 12 hour flight.
First month taking it. It was such a relief not to be flooding. Definitely not a long term solution. Ablation will be the next step for me.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »