Talk

Advanced search

Chronic sinusitis

(10 Posts)
Orangesandlemons82 Fri 28-Feb-20 09:40:20

I have had constant pain for 6 months over my right eye. It is a dull pain and feels like a build up of pressure. I have now been referred for a CT scan under the two week wait. I'm feeling a bit of an idiot now as I have realised that the pain is exactly where the frontal sinus is. I don't feel like I have a blocked nose, nor is it runny but looking back this pain did start with a sore throat. My GP referred me as he thought it could be a neurological cancer but I think it might be sinusitis blush

OP’s posts: |
ahran2k Fri 28-Feb-20 10:03:25

If you think it is sinusitis then take some actifed(if you are not allergic to it). I find actifed extremely helpful with my sinusitis.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 28-Feb-20 10:08:50

But they're just excluding the possibility of anything really bad - so it's excellent care, no need to feel guilty.

Yes, it will probably be sinusitis (based on probability ) but the CT will show this, then you can figure out what will best help you.

NB I have sinusitis, it's totally shit. But 'better' than a whole lot of other things!

I'd actually NOT take actifed or similar given that you have an imminent CT, as really you want it to show the reality.

Egghead68 Fri 28-Feb-20 10:10:12

If you have it best thing I have found is Neil med sinus rinse twice daily plus avamys nasal spray.

ahran2k Fri 28-Feb-20 10:12:31

And also don't feel bad about the referral , it is best to know than wondering and please go ahead with your CT scans. When I first had my sinusitis I did not know anything about sinus pain so I went to an eye doctor who told me it was my sinuses and not my eyes. He prescribed me actifed and I never bothered to read the tablet info for common side effects. My sinuses were okay after a week but started having fast heart beat( actifed side effect) so went to a cardiologist who did a range of tests before asking me if I was on any medication and then informing me it was actifed.
It happens with all of us. We are not doctors , we are not suppose to know what is wrong with us. We can guess and the rest is GP' job.

Orangesandlemons82 Fri 28-Feb-20 17:25:39

Thank you all. I will definitely try these options after the scan. Feel a bit less stupid now!

OP’s posts: |
SpeedofaSloth Fri 28-Feb-20 17:29:40

They need to rule these things out, OP.

If it helps, I had a CT scan during my first bout of labyrinthitis to check I hadn't had a stroke, or a tumour.

I had nasendoscopy to rule out nasal cancer, with an end diagnosis of sinusitis and eustachian tube dysfunction.

flowers, sinusitis is miserable. Hope you get better soon.

littleumbrella Sat 29-Feb-20 15:14:37

I think I am going to go back to GP and push for a referral this week as I've been suffering with facial pain/pressure since the start of December, been treating as sinusitis with the nasal rinses and avamys spray but it's still there every day. Varying in intensity but always there and it's really brought me down dragging on for so long. I am starting to worry there's something more too it which is fuelling my anxiety and catastrophic thoughts...

littleumbrella Sat 29-Feb-20 15:15:01

To it*

fizzybootlace Sat 29-Feb-20 15:21:48

I had sinusitis after a cold at Christmas that has only finally shifted with antibiotics. I get it after all colds and usually a steroid nasal spray gets rid but not this time. I wouldn't worry too much but for those still suffering I'd go back to the GP. Seems there's a lot of stubborn colds this year, probably because it's been such a warm winter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »