Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My 4.5 yo has just been called for Hib and MenC boosters.....Anyone else?

(15 Posts)
Skyler Wed 05-Sep-07 20:13:19

I am confused as I was not expecting dd1 to need any more jabs until her BCG.
Has anyone elses child been called for these jabs? Are they necessary?
To be honest I don't want her to have them because she hated the MMR booster so much and it hurts doesn't it? Also this just seems one lot of boosters too far....I was relieved that there would be no more after the MMR until she was older.
However I will obviously take her for them if the arguements for them are good. I am pro vaccs really for most situations. Anyway does anyone know about these extra boosters?
TIA.

FuriousGeorge Wed 05-Sep-07 20:41:07

I don't know much about them,but DD1,who was 4 last week,had hers today.From what I understand,they are done because the 1st set of inoculations don't provide sufficient protection on there own.

I never had any qualms about them having jabs as babies,but felt awful about this one,probably because DD1 is old enough to understand now.I told her it would sting a bit & she did cry,poor thing.However,I had bought her a little bar of chocolate before we went in & as soon as we left,she had that to console her.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Skyler Wed 05-Sep-07 20:44:12

That is the thing, she had her MMR booster and something else (can't remember and can't look in book at the mo...) when she was 4. One jab in each leg. We got it done and I thought yay that is it till she is old enough to understand why she has them i.e. 11 and then we got called for this booster too.....

gess Wed 05-Sep-07 20:46:43

They introduced them because they found that the hib jab lasts about a year when given at 2 (seriously- can dig out figures- or buy Richard Haloversen's book it's all in there).

Men C- seems a bit daft as the 'danger' age for men c is babies and teens/young adults.

Skyler Wed 05-Sep-07 20:46:49

I found the book more easily than I thought. She had the MMR booster and Diptheria, Tetanus and Polio booster at just 4, and now needs more boosters for Hib and Men C...really???????

gess Wed 05-Sep-07 20:48:11

oh sorry got that wrong let me quote:

"In partiuclar babies vaccinated at 2, 3 and 4 months are likely to lose thier immunity in the second year of life."
(that;s about Hib).

gess Wed 05-Sep-07 20:50:49

the introduction of the hib booster is aimed to develop herd immunity (as the baby ones don't fdo that because the vaccine wears off within 2 years).

IN the netherlands they introduced a booster but all that has happened is that the number of adult cases has gone up.

Skyler Wed 05-Sep-07 20:53:51

Thanks Gess. I remember the stuff about the MMR booster being in the news but I have never heard of anyone having two sets of two boosters at 4.

gess Wed 05-Sep-07 21:02:05

Introduced quite recently - initially they thought that one set of hib injections (2, 3 and 4 months) would last for life. Unfortunately they didn;t test it long enough to find out it wore off after 2 years hmm

Skyler Thu 06-Sep-07 11:44:23

Bump for the daytime crowd. Has anyone elses child been called for two sets of two boosters age 4??

Skyler Thu 06-Sep-07 13:30:55

Bump again. Crikey if she is the only one I don't see the point in her having them for herd protection reasons. Anyone??? TIA.

gess Thu 06-Sep-07 13:47:10

here's the NHS infor. bet they have to introduce another booster in a few years

Skyler Thu 06-Sep-07 13:56:47

Thank you Gess, that is very helpful. Her birthday is 24th March 2003 so that explains why her friends a month older have not had to have it. I am miffed they couldn't be organised enough to do it when she had her pre-school boosters though. I guess I will have to bite the bullet. What a PITA. She is going to be hell as she was awful with the MMR and polio etc boosters and though I had warned her it would hurt a bit she was quite shocked and struggled against the second one <sigh>.
I will use that link to look at the Men C stuff too. Thanks for your help. I can't speak to my HV till the day the appt has been made for. Great hey.

finefatmama Sun 09-Sep-07 13:58:48

ds2 just got called for both boosters and he's 12 months old.

I was thinking of not attending as no one had called ds1 for a booster and he's 2.2

maybe there was amix up

finefatmama Sun 09-Sep-07 14:02:26

my mistake. now that i've read it, it seems like he's due for it and the MMR.

I'll have to leave that to dh coz it's a lot of injections for a kid to take.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now