Talk

Advanced search

Feeling nervous about my first filling - how bad is it?

(5 Posts)
Titsywoo Thu 27-Feb-20 09:02:24

I'm in my 40's and never had any issues with my teeth but last week the dentist found a large hole in my wisdom tooth. Since the tooth has fully come through and moved into the space where I had a molar removed at 14 (for braces) she would prefer not to remove it so is going to do a filling. The hole is at the top of the tooth (eaten away by plaque around the gumline that I was missing with my toothbrush) so she has to drill up through the tooth to get to the hole. Several people have told me about how painful the injection is which is making me nervous and the idea of my head vibrating from the drill weirds me out.

What's it really like having a filling? Horrendous or just uncomfortable?

OP’s posts: |
FleetwoodMacMummy Thu 27-Feb-20 09:17:36

It's just uncomfortable, if you feel any pain once you've had the numbing you should alert the dentist and they may give you more local anaesthetic.
The injection itself is like a sharp scratch on your gums (which is slightly painful but not unbearable and only lasts for a second)
I think it's the most painful part is the injection and the filling itself will just be the vibrations and some pressure but no actual pain!
For reference I had 4 fillings done at once last month (due to pregnancy affecting my teeth)

Titsywoo Thu 27-Feb-20 23:31:15

Thanks smile

WitchSharkadder Thu 27-Feb-20 23:52:55

It’s fine, honestly. I had four fillings a little while ago with no local anaesthetic or any other pain relief and it was only mildly sore.

Titsywoo Fri 28-Feb-20 16:32:12

It was actually pretty horrible in the end. Took 45 mins and was a very deep filling. I hated the feeling of half my face being numb. Horrible. Has been quite sore and achey since that wore off although painkillers are helping now. As the last of the local wore off i started crying and couldn't stop for about an hour. Very odd. Im just praying it has worked or the tooth is coming out otherwise as the fillling is close to the centre of the tooth sad. Not a wonderful experience sadly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »