Talk

Advanced search

Amytriptyline

(53 Posts)
PigPatrol Wed 26-Feb-20 06:37:03

I've heard this is good for migraine prevention and anxiety. I need help with both! Just wondering what others experiences with it are? Many thanks

OP’s posts: |
Walkthedinosauuuuur Wed 26-Feb-20 06:40:24

I'm on it for migraines and it's worked brilliantly - much better than pizotifen or propranolol.

ChrissyHynde Wed 26-Feb-20 06:47:45

It's been w life saver for me !

GertrudeCB Wed 26-Feb-20 06:51:24

I'm on it for nerve pain- it's been a game changer for me - I'm also a migraine sufferer and only have them occasionally now rather than a couple a month.

PigPatrol Wed 26-Feb-20 08:25:27

Thank you, I'm going to take the plunge and ask for it

PigPatrol Wed 26-Feb-20 11:34:46

Just to check, none of you had any dodgy side effects did you? Weight gain etc? Though if it's just that I think it's worth it!

Pipandmum Wed 26-Feb-20 11:39:25

My daughter tried it for two months and it had minimal effect on her migraines. No weight gain.

PigPatrol Wed 26-Feb-20 11:41:35

@Pipandmum argh that's a shame to hear it didn't have any effect. I'm pinning my hopes on it. Were your daughter's migraines hormonal?

AnneShirleysNewDress Wed 26-Feb-20 11:44:06

I'm also on it for nerve pain and it definitely helps. Only side effect is a dry mouth.

Natsku Wed 26-Feb-20 12:21:00

I was on it for insomnia and it did cause weight gain

GertrudeCB Wed 26-Feb-20 15:02:45

No weight gain for me, but increased sleepiness so I take it an hour before going to bed.

PigPatrol Wed 26-Feb-20 15:04:40

Did the doctor suggest anything about increased cancer risks etc? I've been prescribed it this afternoon and now doing my usual google meltdown. @GertrudeCB does the drowsiness extend to the daytime or are you ok next morning?

GinaCarbonara Wed 26-Feb-20 15:12:11

I take it for neuralgia and no weight gain, yes to dry mouth sometimes. It makes me so sleepy the next day though, so I've started taking it around dinner time otherwise I could sleep for 10-12 hours easily.

GertrudeCB Wed 26-Feb-20 16:38:34

I'm fine the next morning @PigPatrol 😀

PorpentinaScamander Wed 26-Feb-20 16:44:45

I had it as a sleeping tablet in the past. It caused dehydration and therefore headaches for me. It made me sleep so much my children couldn't wake me if they needed me. And it took until bedtime the next night until I felt properly awake again. I felt constantly trippy.

But it affects everyone differently. My brother reacted the same as me. His wife was much better on them than not.

peardrops1 Wed 26-Feb-20 16:45:43

I'm on it for insomnia, have had no weight gain

teenmumandsowhat Wed 26-Feb-20 16:48:59

I’m on it to help with the headaches, dizziness of iih. If I’m honest it makes me so drowsy i have to take it at 6pm in order to have any chance of getting up in time for the school run in the morning. Permanently feel groggy and tbh it hasn’t really stopped the headaches as much as i was told it would.

Patchworkpatty Wed 26-Feb-20 17:46:42

Another one on it for insomnia. No weight gain. It's a game changer for me.

SillySpaniel Wed 26-Feb-20 17:56:25

I was put on it because of night time back pain. I couldn't sleep because of the pain. All it did for me was give me a dry mouth. It did nothing to help me sleep. I had no other side effects when taking it.

Blackopal Wed 26-Feb-20 18:01:49

I was prescribed this as a migraine prevention as I was taking too many triptans.

Only on 10mg daily, does not make me sleepy next day at all but I do take it a 7pm.

No effect really for first four months, but now it's a game changer.
I used to take at least 12 triptans month and get my prescription asap. I haven't taken one in two months, think you have to stick with it.

Stripyhoglets1 Wed 26-Feb-20 18:01:57

I take 20mg for nerve pain. Keeps me working but I do feel tired and have a dry mouth. Against the grain here but my appetite increased and I gained weight but I was quite thin before and used to feel full v quickly. So it's just that I want to eat more now.

PrincessHoneysuckle Wed 26-Feb-20 18:12:34

Its good for getting you off to sleep.Thats what I use it for anyway.

PigPatrol Wed 26-Feb-20 18:28:57

These replies are so useful, thank you

Dontdisturbmenow Wed 26-Feb-20 18:48:16

I take 20mg for insomnia but only twice a week due to the side effects. Dry mouth, blurry vision, diarrhea, and a massive increase to appetite.

It's a life saver for sleep though.

PrincessHoneysuckle Wed 26-Feb-20 19:04:21

@Dontdisturbmenow how strange I dont get any side effects

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in