Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone recommend a good book on overcoming anxiety/panic attacks?

(11 Posts)
snowkitten Wed 05-Sep-07 12:51:29

I'm really going through it here sad

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Wed 05-Sep-07 12:59:50

have you asked your GP for any advice, counselling etc? I would start there. this page is very good and describes CBT which is what I learnt to help my anxiety. but i also take prozac (psychiatrist-prescribed) which was the real key to success.

haychee Wed 05-Sep-07 13:04:06

Whats the trigger?

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Wed 05-Sep-07 13:05:18

actually i think this is more relevant. The para entitled Treatment pretty much sums it up. I have been free from irrational anxiety for over 18 months now and I still feel utterly happy and liberated every time i realise. I never ever thought it would be possible. good luck.

elsieG Wed 05-Sep-07 13:38:16

I read 'Overcoming Anxiety' - can't remember who it's by but I bought it on Amazon so I'm sure you can find it there. I suffered from anxiety & panic attacks after I got married & never thought it would get better but it did. It was completely stress induced even though I didn't really feel particularly stressed (at least no more than usual!) It's you're body's reaction to the stress. I didn't want to take tablets until I'd tried alternatives so initially gave up caffeine and also took up Tai Chi which was fantastic & had an immediate effect. You just have to keep trying different things until you find what's right for you

snowkitten Wed 05-Sep-07 15:12:21

thank you all. Just off to collect dd from school. Will read links later smile

NitHater Sun 09-Sep-07 19:50:19

Can a person have Cognitive Behavoural Therapy on the NHS?

I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks and have come of AD's (my GP told me to) but feel bloody worse.

scattyspice Sun 09-Sep-07 19:54:04

I am reading 'Beyond Fear' Dorothy Rowe. Not specifically about panic attacks but about understanding fear / anxiety etc.

She seems a very wise woman.

Good luck.

hotcrumpets Sun 09-Sep-07 19:55:32

I have a really good ebook that I will forward to you if you like, it really helped me out

startouchedtrinity Sun 09-Sep-07 19:56:45

Self Help for your Nerves by Claire Weekes, you can get it via Amazon.

I also like Loving What Is by Byron Katie, not solely about anxiety but a good way to get you to see the truth behind any negative thinking.

fizzbuzz Sun 09-Sep-07 20:33:57

The Feeling Good handbook available from Amazon. Takes you through CBT like a counsellor, and really really works.

The first few pages on thought processes were like a blinding light to me. All anxiety is the result of a thought process called "fortune telling", and this book tells you how to arrest these thoughts and change them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now