Talk

Advanced search

Worried - painless ear bleed has become painful days later even on Otomize spray (from A&E)

(5 Posts)
PeninsulaPanic Mon 17-Feb-20 22:35:56

On Thursday aftrnoon woke up from a nap and my right ear felt wet inside. Stuck my finger in and it was covered in blood, which I could hear pooling in my ear. But no pain. Went to A&E, they said there was a lump of wax and inflammation, gave me Otomize to spray in 3 x a day for 7 days. It's a steroid, antibiotic and antifungal. Also said see the practice nurse at my GP's surgery after the 7 days to have my ear syringed. Was relieved it was nothing more serious. Have never had an ear bleed before. Don't think I've even had a nosebleed as an adult. (I'm 53.)

On Saturday I had a horrendous migraine. Nothing new there unfortunately, in fact for the last year I've hardly had a migraine-free day. Long story, but am currently awaiting greater occipital nerve injections for those. In the last few years I've had a lot of facial and oral pain, with various diagnoses, but it was recently suggested that they're all caused by migraine. It has been hell, quite honestly.

Yesterday and today I've had no migraine and very little facial/oral pain. I've really noticed the difference. However, woke up this morning with a throbbingly sore throat, which has been there all day and in the last few hours intensified for a while. Sucked throat pastilles, which have helped. But tonight I'm also getting waves of earache which is making me wince, and my eyes feel like they do at the height of the hayfever season.

Does anyone think it's possible that I've had an underlying infection for the last year or more which has been causing the headaches, and now that I'm focusing on treating my ear with an antibiotic it's helping with the headache symptoms and bringing out other symptoms that have been dormant, like the throat and earache? I've had numerous 'viruses' in the last couple of years (seem to get everything going, so it's often hard to know where one ends and the next one begins). But the migraines have been the most enduring and disabling symptom for what feels like forever now, except I remember they started around this time last year (January) and I hadn't been getting nearly so many since cutting out dairy a few years ago.

Or is it just a coincidence that the headaches have disappeared in the last almost 48 hours, and I've just caught an ear infection and it's affecting my throat? Sorry, probably impossible to answer, but thought I'd ask because I'm so tired of being ill and never recovering, and the NHS possibly not doing enough joined up thinking...

PeninsulaPanic Mon 17-Feb-20 22:39:48

In the interests of full disclosure, (I forgot to say) I'm male. So it's not menopause-related. But neither is it man flu! wink

Isadora2007 Mon 17-Feb-20 22:46:18

Honestly I’m not sure but I think I’d be asking for an ENT referral as I don’t think wax build up sounds like a plausible explanation for bleeding from the ear to the extent you could hear it...like a nosebleed.

Have you had a head CT as part of your ongoing investigations of your migraines?

PeninsulaPanic Mon 17-Feb-20 22:54:17

Thanks @Isadora2007

Had an MRI through Neurology last August which didn't reveal anything, and another at ENT towards the end of last year. I had been referred there in case the headaches were sinus-related, but the ENT doctor said my sinuses were perfectly healthy, no infection, and it was likely to be a development of my historical migraine diagnosis (2009) instead. Was then seen by pain clinic doctor who said she didn't think another MRI was necessary at this stage, but didn't mention a CT scan. That was 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I have wondered this last couple of days if I should ask to be referred back to ENT. Will try and get an urgent appointment with my GP this week.

PeninsulaPanic Wed 26-Feb-20 07:06:12

Just to update smile

Saw my GP end of last week, explained that I'd noticed a huge improvement in the headaches and oral pain but ear was still a bit sore after a week on the spray. He prescribed me another bottle and antibiotics for a chest infection.

I'm superstitious about saying this but as of today I haven't had a headache for 10 days. The odd twinge, but even the oral pain that didn't shift until a week after the headaches has almost disappeared. My ear isn't sore either.

Really hoping these antibiotics see off the chest infection and then I might get to feel better than I've felt for over a year! Am pinching myself...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »