Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Does anyone here know anything about DVT? I'm a bit freaked atm

(34 Posts)
Carmenere Tue 04-Sep-07 07:52:40

I have a pain in my calf that I can only describe as a feeling of localised pressure. It has been there since last night and I am quite worried it might be DVT as I had a long flight at the weekend and it is in the right place on my calf. Also I had a suspected pulmonary embolism a couple of years ago after an op. I am waiting for the gp to open so I can make an appointment but does anyone have any experience of this?

belgo Tue 04-Sep-07 07:55:53

is your leg hot/swollen/red/painful?

If it is a DVT, then you should be very careful moving your leg.

massivebigpantsface Tue 04-Sep-07 07:56:25

sorry, i don't know. Get yourself to the gps and hopefully have your mind put at ease.

saralou Tue 04-Sep-07 07:56:41

is their any redness, swelling on the calf?? does it feel hot to touch?

Carmenere Tue 04-Sep-07 07:59:25

It is slightly warm but I don't think it is swollen.

belgo Tue 04-Sep-07 07:59:53

on the flight, did you move around much?

happystory Tue 04-Sep-07 08:03:18

Def go to the drs. My cousin had it and although her dr was a bit reluctant hmm she said if it was hot plus she'd just been on a flight it might be.

It was actually DVT but she's fine now after treatment.

belgo Tue 04-Sep-07 08:03:21

you need a doctor to look at it, but I'm concerned about you waiting for a GP appointment. If it is a DVT (and hopefully it's not), then you shouldn't move your leg as this could dislodge the DVT.

Maybe phone NHS direct and ask their advice?

Carmenere Tue 04-Sep-07 08:03:33

Not a huge amount.

belgo Tue 04-Sep-07 08:04:09

yes once diagnosed it's fairly easy to treat

RubySlippers Tue 04-Sep-07 08:08:13

you must go to your GP ASAP esp with your history
i have had a couple of DVT and they are symptomless apart from pain (ie no swelling, heat, redness etc)
best thing to do is ask for a D-Dimers (blood test) and a scan - you may have to go to A & E
they are easy to treat - warfarin, compression stockings and rest
i am at home at the mo' with my third clot ...
if you get chest pains/breathlessness call 999
let us know how you get on

3littlefrogs Tue 04-Sep-07 09:05:51

A&E - NOW. Tell them you have been on a long haul flight, and your history. Take an aspirin, and drink plenty of water. The aspirin is not for pain relief but to stop the platelets (the little fragments that stick together to form a clot)from sticking together.

Gumbo Tue 04-Sep-07 09:13:08

Definitely go to get it checked out today. I've had 2 episodes of having literally hundreds of clots in my leg (the pain was unbearable, but I suspect a single clot may feel like pressure/a bit of soreness rather than agony).

Good luck; you need to know one way or the other, and if it is actually a clot it's relatively easy to treat.

silverfrog Tue 04-Sep-07 09:18:34

Definitely go to docs - dh had DVT a few years back, and apart from exceedingly cold feet (which he never usually has) and a general feeling that something was not right he had no symptoms. Our then gp only referred him for a scan because he made such a fuss (and she had mis-diagnosed my ectopic a few months peviously with obv fairly serious consequences so we think she was just referring him so she has covered herself!)

He had quite a large clot too, so it's definitely worth checking out.

Carmenere Tue 04-Sep-07 09:40:31

Ok so I have been to the gp who said she didn't think it was one but I could have an ultrasound if I wanted. I said yes please as I have seen this gp before and know she is not terribly experienced and I don't have a huge amount of faith in her. She did say there was a blod test they could do but that it often shows high results even if there isn't any dvt so then you would just have to have the scan anywayhmm
I am somewhat reassured though so very glad I went but my leg still hurts like hell. I will just have to wait for the ultrasound I suppose. thanks for the advice.

RubySlippers Tue 04-Sep-07 09:44:00

when is the scan?
if you have had a PE/clot then the blood test (D Dimers) will always show as positive IYSWIM
good luck with it all and try to rest your leg

belgo Tue 04-Sep-07 14:10:25

how are you Carmenere?

fairyjay Tue 04-Sep-07 14:18:35

My aunt was sent to A & E yesterday afternoon as a precaution, as her ankle was swollen. They did tests, and are doing a scan this afternoon. She was let out last night, with some very fetching stockings, and after having an anticoagulant jab.

I was impressed with how thorough the hospital were - and to be fair, the response of the gp.

Hope you're soon sorted Carmenere.

Tiggiwinkle Tue 04-Sep-07 14:35:02

Certainly make sure you get seen today either by your GP or A and E. My DH had a DVT which both the GP and hospital failed to pick up-he ended up with multiple PEs as a result. They found out eventually that he has Hughes Syndrome, which is a fairly common but very underdiagnosed blood condition predisposing you to clots. If you have a history of them it is worth asking to be tested for it, by the way.

Carmenere Tue 04-Sep-07 16:18:11

Scan is tommorow morning at 9.30. Pain is a bit less but still there, if it goes does that mean I'm in the clear or just that it may have broken up and be heading towards my narrower veins ready to cause havoc(as you can see I'm not being alarmist at all, oh no, not me eeek)

belgo Tue 04-Sep-07 16:20:00

Carmenere - if it gets any worse or if you have any other symptoms - straight to A&E.

RubySlippers Tue 04-Sep-07 16:20:43

what belgo said
also, chest pains and/or breathlessness go to A & E

Tiggiwinkle Tue 04-Sep-07 16:28:05

Hmmm. As I said, my DHs DVT was completely missed by both the GP and the A and E doctor, who sent him home without doing a scan. I personally would not take the word of the GP if she has just examined you. in view of the fact that you have just been on a long flight, I would go to A and E today anyway. It is not really something you can wait and see with. By the way, my DHs leg was never swollen-just very painful.

3littlefrogs Tue 04-Sep-07 16:44:05

Are you ok Carmenere?

Carmenere Tue 04-Sep-07 16:51:58

I'm fine thanks. I am in good form, my leg is a little less painful which I'm hoping is good and I'm happy that a scan in the morning will either rule it out or make them treat it. Tbh I thought that she would just give me some blood thinner stuff as a matter of course. In Ireland they gave it to all hospital paitents as a precaution.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: