Talk

Advanced search

Has my tooth gone grey, or is it just because of my filling?

(8 Posts)
AntoniaB21 Thu 13-Feb-20 20:01:58

I’m just a bit concerned about a tooth that has been problematic for the last couple of years now, and wondered if Mumsnet could help.
Quick history, had a filling 3 yrs ago, was experiencing a lot of pain still a couple of weeks after this filling, but the dentist just gave me sensitive toothpaste. Still hurt so much with the toothpaste, so he drills into it again and there was an infection.
So far, this filling has lasted without problems for 3 yrs now. However, just looking in the mirror now, my tooth is turning grey! Bit concerned, especially due to history of infection as I don’t want my tooth to die. So instead of panicking, I wondered whether the filling (it was one of those white ones that is hardly noticeable!) creates a grey shadow on the tooth after a couple of years? Or does this not happen with those new types of fillings? I think I will go to the dentist just to get it checked out as I don’t want it to escalate, but wondered if Mumsnet could help in the meanwhile. Thank you if you read all of this and reply!

OP’s posts: |
GaaaaarlicBread Thu 13-Feb-20 20:02:37

Can’t see without a photo x

Lighteninginabottle27 Thu 13-Feb-20 20:06:01

Possibly the trauma has caused the tooth to die. Your dentist is the best person to advise though

AntoniaB21 Thu 13-Feb-20 20:10:03

It’s quite near the back so I don’t think I will be able to photograph it well 🙁 it’s definitely grey though, but wondered what the cause might be. I was hoping that those new fillings might cause the tooth to go grey over time as well, but I doubt it. I can see how the old metal ones would, but not this type.

AntoniaB21 Thu 13-Feb-20 20:11:11

I can only get an appointment in March, so I’ll keep an eye on it until then as it is worrying me a bit...I hate getting stuff done at the dentist so much 😢

Lucked Thu 13-Feb-20 20:13:05

Mine died and went gray after root canal. I had to get a crown.

AntoniaB21 Thu 13-Feb-20 20:16:27

@Lucked out of interest, did you tooth hurt when it was grey? Mine, touch wood, at the moment is not hurting so I don’t know whether that’s good or a bad thing.

I haven’t even had a root canal yet, just the two fillings. I really don’t want a root canal or anything, I’m so scared of the dentist.

Lucked Wed 26-Feb-20 11:50:19

@AntoniaB21
Sorry just noticed this question. No it was painless.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »