Talk

Advanced search

Topimirate for migraines

(9 Posts)
INeedToGetHealthy Thu 13-Feb-20 17:34:46

After speaking to my GP today about a sudden change in migraines (considering that I've been having them for 36 years) and frequency. She has put in a referral to be seen by a neurologist and prescribed Topimirate for me. I already take amitryptiline as a preventative medication and propranolol was not working well for me.
So my question is. Has anyone used this medication and how successful is it for you?

OP’s posts: |
Arseit Thu 13-Feb-20 17:39:33

Yes (100mg a day) and very. No migraines now for over 3 years since I’ve been on it. Very happy with it. No real side effects either.

INeedToGetHealthy Thu 13-Feb-20 18:08:41

@Arseit thank you. That sounds very positive and promising.

IndieTara Thu 13-Feb-20 18:14:27

Topiramate didn't work for me at all

GinaCarbonara Thu 13-Feb-20 20:09:15

It helped a little with mine. The only side effects I had were weirdly positive ones- I didn't have much of an appetite and all fizzy drinks tasted flat. Which was great for me as I was/am a diet coke loving tubster

Tarrarra Thu 13-Feb-20 20:13:09

It didn't suit me at all, I felt very weird on it. Very zombified. It is now prescribed as first choice for migraine relief as it is really effective. Has to be worth a try, just see how you go!

Arseit Thu 13-Feb-20 21:03:44

Oh yes, I forgot, I did totally lose my appetite for about a month. But it gradually returned to normal and tbh was a small price to pay.

Chaotica Thu 13-Feb-20 22:05:19

It obviously works for some people but my neurologist advised against it because of the zombifying psychological side effects (which aren't compatible with my job).

INeedToGetHealthy Thu 13-Feb-20 22:42:05

Thanks everyone. I have to wait until tomorrow night to take the first dose as the pharmacy didn't have any in stock tonight. I'm actually looking forward to any appetite suppressant effects, as I certainly could do with losing weight grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »