Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Osteopath or chiropractor?

(10 Posts)
AnnabelCaramel Mon 03-Sep-07 18:40:51

Or indeed something different? Who or what do I need? For a week my shoulder has got stiffer and stiffer. It eases throughout the day but this morning I couldn't even reach up to put my hair in a ponytail; the pain made me cry. When I rotate my head to the right there's a horrible crunching noise. It huuuuuuuuuuuuurts!

AnnabelCaramel Mon 03-Sep-07 18:50:44

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

AZmom Mon 03-Sep-07 18:52:00

Osteopaths don`t straighten your spine, & put things back in place like a good chiropractor can.My neck/back goes out, I twist & turn, & rotate my shoulder & neck, lots of times it gets ok.Also, heat can help.AZmom

AnnabelCaramel Mon 03-Sep-07 18:59:14

creak...creak...thank you...creak...

AZmom Mon 03-Sep-07 19:29:17

Try not to let it get stiff.Once my shoulder got like that, I went to a chiopractor, he said I had gotten the tendons out of balance in my shoulder,I had been splitting fire wood,& to hold my arm straight in front of me & turn it (my hand)side to side.It hurt!! But I got better.

AZmom Mon 03-Sep-07 19:31:05

Try not to let it get stiff.Once my shoulder got like that, I went to a chiopractor, he said I had gotten the tendons out of balance in my shoulder,I had been splitting fire wood,& to hold my arm straight in front of me & turn it (my hand)side to side.It hurt!! But I got better.

Carmenere Mon 03-Sep-07 19:32:51

Osteopaths do straighten your spine and do pretty much the same corrections that chiropractors do.

artichokes Mon 03-Sep-07 19:34:57

Osteopaths do manipulate things back into place - its not true that only chiropractors will do that. The diff is that osteopaths massage and relax your muscles first. I find that better as my body is then relaxed for the manipulation and my muscles are less likely to seize up and fight the manipulation. Make sure you go to a traditional ostepath registered with the Genreal Oesteopathic Council. Cranial osteopaths are something totally different and i don't find their methods effective.

AZmom Tue 04-Sep-07 20:36:16

I have only been to 2 osteopaths here in the U.S.One had a machine that I laid on, it had rollers that went up & down my spine.It sort of hurt, the other one did twist & turn me, did not help much.Maybe the ones there are better trained.I have a chiropractor that does massage & use a vibrator & heat.He is good at fixing my back.But not all chiropractors here are that good.

Fangzooki Tue 04-Sep-07 20:55:11

ime it matters little whether you see a chiropractor or osteopath, as long as they are a good therapist. ie they are good at assessing the problem, good at the correction/manipulation, and good at a follow up plan.
Ask around and see which name comes up most often.

Sports/remedial massage might help too, again IF done by a skilled person.

Any skilled prfessional should refer you on if they feel you have a problem they cannot address.

Also here is a therapy that can have amazing results. There are some practitioners in the US - so might depend on the geography involved!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now