Talk

Advanced search

Bowel polyp

(10 Posts)
Somethingsosimple Wed 12-Feb-20 13:39:02

I’m 44 and just gone for a sigmoidoscopy this morning. They found a 1cm bowel polyp probably adenoma. I’m so upset that this could mean I have bowel cancer. I have to go back for colonoscopy in a few weeks. I found the sigmoidoscopy very painful too. Anyone had anything similar - I’m so anxious.

OP’s posts: |
TDL2016 Wed 12-Feb-20 16:00:46

I had a 2cm polyp and a smaller one removed. They were fine. They’ll sedate you and give you gas and air for the colonoscopy. You probably won’t remember most of it.

Somethingsosimple Wed 12-Feb-20 16:09:54

Thanks @TDL2016. Can I ask if the biopsy was ok and how old you are please

Tanfastic Wed 12-Feb-20 17:00:09

My husband had a couple of polyps removed after a sigmoidoscopy. Very common apparently. He has to have follow up tests every year or so but last one showed nothing.
He's 53.
I would try not to worry op, they are almost always harmless but left could possibly turn cancerous husband was told so best to whip them out.

Helloyouthere Wed 12-Feb-20 17:10:32

Hi, I'm 37. last year I had a colonoscopy due to bleeding and a family history of bowel cancer. They found numerous polyps, 7 sessile ones, which can be the type that turn into cancer. They removed these and left the hyperplastic ones which were harmless ones in place. They will sedate you, you won't feel it. Chances are you'll be fine, the worst bit is the prep. I like you worried a lot beforehand but honestly it's fine.

BusterGonad Wed 12-Feb-20 17:19:06

I'm going to be honest with you, I find colonoscopies quite painful, I do have crohn's so that could be why, make sure you get the maximum sedation and ask the nurse to help you with the gas and air as there is a correct way to do it for maximum benefit. The good thing is they don't last too long. Good luck.

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually Wed 12-Feb-20 17:23:52

DH and i both had 2 polyps removed each when we had routine colonoscopies.

It doesn't seem to be much of an issue - they tested them and said come back in 5 yrs.

TDL2016 Wed 12-Feb-20 17:35:04

@Somethingsosimple the biopsy was fine. I’m 32. Have to be monitored every 5 years.

Somethingsosimple Wed 12-Feb-20 18:19:26

Thanks All. Everyone is very reassuring. @ItsJustTheSwanOneSwanActually Could I ask how old you and your husband are too?

BusterGonad Thu 13-Feb-20 02:50:52

And I've had polyps removed, they've all been fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »