Talk

Advanced search

Tooth extraction site

(6 Posts)
Mammatomyboy16 Tue 11-Feb-20 22:33:04

Ok I posted the other day about my tooth extraction.

So I'm on day 5, absolutely no pain what so ever but it's green and smells really bad!!!!

I know people told me to stop taking pictures and leave it alone but I just can't stop worrying.

OP’s posts: |
natalie2407 Tue 11-Feb-20 22:37:56

I would personally go back to the dentist and ask them to have a look as you could have an infection and need antibiotics. I'm not a medical professional in anyway but from what you have described I'd definitely get it checked out just to be on the safe side.

Hulahoopqueen Tue 11-Feb-20 22:50:55

Lucky you for no pain!! Definitely make an appointment with whoever it was that took it out - bad smell indicates an infection.

In the meantime, swill every 2-3 hours (or as often as possible) with boiled water (as hot as you can manage) with a teaspoon of salt dissolved in it

DishRanAwayWithTheSpoon Tue 11-Feb-20 23:16:16

If it's not painful and not swollen it doesn't need a dentist.

Often sockets do smell bad. And they often look funny colours as they are healing. It is like a scab.

Give it a really good clean with salt water, really try and get the water into the socket in case there is some food debris in there. Bathe it in salt water or corsodyl for a couple of minutes at a time every couple of hours.

You will know if it gets infected as you will get increasing swelling around the socket or obvious pus discharge. And pain. Honestly you will know if you have an infection or a dry socket. Post extraction infection is rare.

If there is no swelling you don't need antibiotics, all a dentist would do at most would be give it a clean with some saline, but some simple self care is all thats needed. But I really would stop worrying about it, it doesn't look or sound infected.

YicketyYackMamasBack Tue 11-Feb-20 23:25:29

Did they put a picking in of any kind, did they mention putting a dressing in or packing it?

Sometimes with a difficult extraction they put a dressing into the socket to help with clotting, this can taste absolutely vile and be a funny greeny brown colour, some of can come out of the socket when it’s not needed

YicketyYackMamasBack Tue 11-Feb-20 23:28:24

PP mentioned trying to get salt water into it, which the salt water is good advice but I wouldn’t swish it around too much as if you dislodge the clot you’ll be at risk of dry socket. Be gentle with it but definitely give it a good bathe with hot salt water and maybe some cordsodyl rinses too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »