Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice needed about toddlers and general anaesthetics

(11 Posts)
Piggy Mon 03-Sep-07 14:10:39

Ds1 (2.10) is due to have a general anaesthetic this week to remove a small stone he inserted into his ear yesterday (long story). He is coming down with a (very mild) cold now - does that mean he can't have the GA or will they go ahead regardless? Should I phone the hospital or can I keep quiet.....?

Thanks

Piggy Mon 03-Sep-07 14:38:09

bump

fishie Mon 03-Sep-07 14:40:31

see how he is when you get to hospital. i would tell them though, why wouldn't you?

DarrellRivers Mon 03-Sep-07 14:41:56

Tell the anaesthetist when you see them.
It is best to only have a GA in tip-top health

Piggy Mon 03-Sep-07 14:43:18

He's in a lot of pain from the stone and is always sticking his finger in his ear trying to get the stone out. They have told me they need to get it out quickly otherwise he may end up damaging his ear drum or getting an infection.

Piggy Mon 03-Sep-07 14:45:01

That's what I thought Darrell. It seems to be a case of deciding whether to leave the stone in for a while (and poss infection etc) until he's feeling 100% or putting him under when he's got a cold.

DarrellRivers Mon 03-Sep-07 14:47:19

Did they try using the suction thing to pull it out or did he fight too much?
it is not urgent like putting a stone up your nose(can affect breathing) but yes better out than in for those reasons you say
Poor thing, main thing is to stop him pushing it i suppose.
have painkillers helped at all?

throckenholt Mon 03-Sep-07 14:52:12

If it is only a minor sniffle I would take him and ask them when you get there (I think my DS had a minor sniffle when he had his GA). I guess most kids have a minor sniffle much of the time - if they postpone all ops for that they would never get anything done !

Piggy Mon 03-Sep-07 14:53:37

We spent the whole of yesterday afternoon at A&E. They did the microscope, tweezers and suctioning thing but nothing worked. He was a real star - as good as gold and didn't fidget once. He lay there so quietly for ages while they tried to get it out [watery smile].

He's having calpol so I'm hoping that helps.

DarrellRivers Mon 03-Sep-07 14:55:09

Best thing is to go ,and check with the anaesthetist, they are very sensible doctors who do not like taking risks, so if they think it is ok, good, if not they will say so.
Good luck, poor boy.

Piggy Mon 03-Sep-07 14:56:28

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now