Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had their sebarrheic keratosis removed?

(5 Posts)
fedup21 Sun 09-Feb-20 13:29:46

I presume there’s nothing DIY I can do?!!

The GP told me that’s what it was, that it was cosmetic and nothing to worry about but that they don’t remove them on the NHS. I don’t know where to go or who to speak to about removing it though. It’s betting bigger, is crumbly (envy bleugh) and looks horrid!

OP’s posts: |
Wishimaywishimight Sun 09-Feb-20 15:12:00

I had one removed by my GP last year. He said normally there's no need to remove them but mine was on a part of my back where my bra strap rubbed against it and it was becoming loose. He said they can bleed heavily if knocked off so best to remove it given its position.

My GP removed it in the surgery. I'm in Ireland so had to pay (€150). That included it being sent off for testing. GP had said 99% of them are 'innocent' (as mine was) but best to send it off to the lab just to be safe.

DramaAlpaca Sun 09-Feb-20 15:16:32

I'm also in Ireland and I see a dermatologist every couple of years to get the ones that bother me frozen off. It costs me €150.

I've had an ointment called Solareze (I think) prescribed in the past, but it takes ages to work and you have to be careful with it. I prefer to get them frozen off.

WitchQueenofDarkness Sun 09-Feb-20 15:53:33

Yes - one of the local GP surgeries runs a cosmetic dermatology clinic for these. It's a "private" service and they charged £5 a session last time I went.

There may be something similar in your area.

Phalarope Sun 09-Feb-20 21:35:08

DH has them. Loads of moisturiser for a couple of weeks and then (me) gently scrubbing off the crumbliest bits has reduced them significantly. Gross but effective. NHS won’t remove them in our patch and he was quoted £££ to do it privately.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »