Talk

Advanced search

I'm sick of this cough what can I do ?

(8 Posts)
idontlike789 Sun 09-Feb-20 12:33:11

I've had this cough since the new year ,it seamed to get better but it's still lingering. I can go a while without coughing but then I'll have a coughing fit . I'm on my 3rd medicine it's chesty mucus cough and the medicine I had is supposed to loosen the mucus but it's not shifting .
Luckily it's not disturbing my sleep but I'm fed up of it. I'm fed up of people telling me to go to the doctors although I know it's time I go . The reason I'm reluctant is I know I'll struggle to get in and I know doctors are reluctant to prescribe anything so it seams a bit pointless. Also I know a few people saying yeah they know someone who's cough lasting weeks so is it something going around that may eventually go ? .
I'm a non smoker who's generally well , I'm still running but I'm struggling with that if I have a coughing fit .
I'm just fed up now of it now , any advice ?

OP’s posts: |
NeurotrashWarrior Sun 09-Feb-20 20:23:48

There is a nasty thing that my Dh who never gets cough has had now since NY. We've all had it; I think it's actually been two separate things, a virus and then an upper respiratory tract bacterial infection. And now the kids are on to a third cough something confused I've been relatively ok as I've used my inhalers to get through.

Steaming is your friend for gunk. If you're not too affected at night just keep steaming as much as you can. If you are maybe be see the Gp. I like friars balsam (can be a bugger to remove from the bowl though so use something you either use again for the same purpose or can throw.) but plain water is fine.

Vicks on your chest at night can open the airways.

Other than that a Gp appt even perhaps a walk in centre? It's usually antibiotics if it is a lower resp infection, you often feel woozy with that though.

I became a bit of a cough expert before I was diagnosed with asthma!

NeurotrashWarrior Sun 09-Feb-20 20:25:04

Most cough medicines are useless.

Paracetamol or ibuprofen is often more effective if it's painful.

BookMeOnTheSudExpress Sun 09-Feb-20 20:32:49

I'm just getting over a post flu cough that turned into bronchitis so I feel your pain.
GP told me to pour cough medicine down the sink as it's a waste of money, said a homemade warm drink of lemon juice and honey was a million times more effective. Also advised steaming over hot saucepans of water and putting Vick on chest and soles of feet.
She also said coughs can take anything up to 4-6 weeks to go.
I'm on antibiotics and if your cough isn't getting better after such a long time, you probably need them too. I just thought I had lingering cough and was surprised when she said bronchitis.

HoneyCheesecake Sun 09-Feb-20 20:38:23

I had the same thing. I would get terrible coughs after a cold that wouldn’t go away and I’d get in such a state with it.

I basically ended up going to holland and Barrett and letting them sell me a load of immune system stuff. I’d just come back from mat leave and was catching everything. I used an immune system booster(can’t remember the exact one but you take it for a month or so), echinacea, and I think vitamin D spray?

Haven’t had a cough now for months and the last few times I’ve felt a cold coming on I’ve managed to fight it off!

idontlike789 Tue 11-Feb-20 17:16:42

I managed to get a doctors appointment who said it's a touch of bronchitis and I've got some antibiotics so hopefully this will work . Terrible nights sleep last night so I really hope so .

Thanks for the tips .

BookMeOnTheSudExpress Tue 11-Feb-20 21:20:10

Glad you got seen. I'm on day 5 of 10 and it is getting better slowly.
Good luck with yours!

idontlike789 Tue 11-Feb-20 22:51:19

Yeah i was surprised I thought I'd be told it's just a cough it'll go eventually.
I'm really hope I start to feel better in the next few days . I'm not one for being ill but I feel so drained with it now .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »