Talk

Advanced search

Vaccination questions

(4 Posts)
caramellasagne Sat 08-Feb-20 14:29:04

I have some questions about a couple of things
1. whooping cough jab in pregnancy - I was reading the WC jab given usually lasts 10 years so why have I been told to have it every pregnancy regardless of the gap in between ?

2. Some vaccines for babies have changed recently as rates of the disease they protect against has lowered so for example men c is only at a year now
But why even with low rates of diphtheria and tetanus In that age group is that vaccine not reduced / cut out/ given late I’m totally confused?

OP’s posts: |
QuintusEstInHorto Sat 08-Feb-20 14:34:05

I'm no expert but believe that the whooping cough vaccine is given to pregnant women as it passes on some immunity to the baby abs covers when until they're old enough to be vaccinated themselves. Hence needing it for every pregnancy as it isn't for you!

caramellasagne Sat 08-Feb-20 14:45:09

Ok so my immunity isn’t passed on anyway it’s just like a boost to get it to the baby via the placenta ? I was so confused as I only had it 2 years ago and they said I need it agin I thought once I’d got antibodies they’d be passed to any subsequent baby too

OP’s posts: |
QuintusEstInHorto Sat 08-Feb-20 16:18:13

That's my understanding, but I'm not a medical professional. Suffice to say that you do need a new vaccination for a new pregnancy though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »