Talk

Advanced search

A day in A&E

(11 Posts)
QueenOfOversharing Fri 07-Feb-20 15:58:31

I'm in because GP called to see me after blood tests this week - my thyroid has gone overactive suddenly & indicators of infection. Plus HR was high.

Saw 2 GPs & they phoned hospital - consultant wanted me in A&E for more tests & monitoring. Read GPs referral letter & they had written "possible thyroid storm" - innocuous sounding, but I shouldn't have googled it 😳

Been here since before 11, and no firm plan to go until they see if steroids & beta blockers work.

OP’s posts: |
QueenOfOversharing Fri 07-Feb-20 15:59:02

Lol. Pressed post by accident!!

QueenOfOversharing Fri 07-Feb-20 16:03:55

So bloody thankful for my gps & my local (London) Hospital. They have all been incredible.

One nurse was having a discussion with a patient who said he was going to leave & kill someone (which apparently was a joke). The patient didn't like being told their chest X-ray was clear 🤷🏼‍♀️

Feel like I'm taking up bloody space but equally so grateful.

What's the betting on getting home for Love Island?

SeansNiece Fri 07-Feb-20 16:21:34

Oh I had to google that too and I'm not surprised you're scared! You're obviously not taking up space, you need to be there. I had a pulmonary embolism 2 years ago and sat in A&E felling like a fraud as the pain wasn't so bad and I thought I had wind in the end up (wouldn't have been there if it hadn't been for a Dr insisting I go and as I was in the hospital at the time anyway I decided I might aswell). Once they told me what it was and I googled I was a crying mess as it could have been fatal.

You're in the right place of course, it's just boring but at least you're being cared for. Just hope your phone battery doesn't give out!

PS you can download the ITV player app and watch LI later on if you're still there ;)

bonjour16 Fri 07-Feb-20 16:25:46

You're in the right place and shouldn't feel guilty. Hope you feel better soon flowers

QueenOfOversharing Fri 07-Feb-20 16:26:31

@SeansNiece oh nooooo! Friend of mine had 2 last year. Was so unwell. Did you recover ok?

Yeah - Googling shit is not a good idea. I had a wee cry & only just stopped short of revisiting my funeral plans. 😂

I'm sure I'll be home soon. The meds seem to be making me feel better. 💪🏼

QueenOfOversharing Fri 07-Feb-20 16:32:41

I can't stop laughing. I did a massive loud fart right at the moment the consultant pulled the curtain back & came in. 😂

I'm going home! Steroids for 5 weeks, beta blockers for however long & open door policy for me to pitch up if I feel unwell again.

I can't believe how amazing our NHS is. So fucking grateful. 🙏🏼

GaaaaarlicBread Fri 07-Feb-20 16:39:32

So glad you’re going home ! What a fighter ! Our NHS is bloody fab , I’m so proud to say I work for them! Changing lives 💕

Bluetrews25 Fri 07-Feb-20 16:48:29

Make sure you do lots of walking / stairs / getting up from chair when on those steroids. My legs went weak as water after only about 2 weeks on them last spring.
Hope you feel better soon.

SeansNiece Fri 07-Feb-20 16:56:56

I did recover well but it didn't do wonders for my anxiety I can tell you!

Glad you're going home and at least you know you have every right to get straight back there if needs be.

Lol at the fart, it actually reminds me that when they did keep me in hospital for a few days I was holding in my farts (I've got IBS so they can be rowdy as fuck) but obviously can't help what happens in the middle of the night. Woke one morning and the ladies in the ward told me how much they laughed last night and stayed up late chatting etc and it's a wonder I didn't hear them. I said oh I was out like a light and one said you really were, you were like a brass band all night between snoring and farting. To be fair though I had a newborn and was exhausted so I didn't care about either, I was just glad to have got a sleep.

QueenOfOversharing Fri 07-Feb-20 17:04:42

@itsemily I take my proverbial hat off to you - my son was in Gt Ormond St & other hospitals so much & I have the utmost respect for everyone who works in the NHS 

@Bluetrews25 thank you for that tip. I've not been moving much as felt so rubbish for a while.

@SeansNiece I'm laughing so hard! 😂 I was in for over a week with pneumonia & pleurisy - first time I could walk to the loo - halfway there had huge coughing fit. Pissed myself, sharted & perioded all over the floor. I just kept it moving. shrug

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »