Are you planning or have you booked a holiday to Asia or SE Asia?

(7 Posts)
cardy1969 Fri 07-Feb-20 08:42:06

I am just wondering what everyone's views are on travelling to this part of the world at the moment.

My dd is on a gap year and is planning to go to SE Asia in April. She has paid a deposit for an organised tour (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand). The balance of £1500 is due on Monday. She hasn't booked her flight yet.

In light of new FCO advice - that anyone showing symptoms of Coronovirus coming from SE is being asked to self-quarantine, it seems that they think these areas are at increasing risk. There's also the ship of Japan that has had a number of cases confirmed.

At the moment I don't want her to pursue this trip. Her friend who she is travelling with has already paid in full for the tour and booked the flight. So, understandably she is keen to do the same. I've suggested that they consider another part of the world, but who knows what the situation will be in April.

Incidentally we have had family holidays in SE Asia for the past three years and were planning to go back this summer but have decided against this now.

OP’s posts: |
rookiemere Fri 07-Feb-20 08:48:03

Does she have travel insurance? If she does and the situation gets worse then it should refund her money if flights are banned. Hard one as it does seem to be getting worse but her friend has already paid out.

cardy1969 Fri 07-Feb-20 09:03:09

We do have family travel insurance but it is only likely to pay out if the FCO advices against all but essential travel to a country. This is very rare (still not the case for China except Wuhan). The FCO don't give this advice lightly for diplomatic reasons - it impacts on the economy of the specific country (tourism, business etc).

She's 18 and doesn't have to do what we suggest but is torn between what we say and her friend going ahead.

I was thinking of talking to the parents of her friend to see what they think.

OP’s posts: |
PrimeYesterday Fri 07-Feb-20 09:10:48

Is there a way to delay the payment until say the end of the month to see how this unfolds more?
Obviously it is all unknowns and the company may not agree but worth an ask? The signs look like it’s going to get worse before it gets better but if there is a way to delay paying she can make a more informed decision.

cardy1969 Fri 07-Feb-20 09:27:52

We've already had a week delay for the balance of the tour, I think we could ask for another week possibly. Such a tricky one!

OP’s posts: |
mushroom3 Fri 07-Feb-20 11:24:30

Would your daughter be covered under the family insurance if travelling alone? I'm asking this as we have family insurance and our children are only covered if travelling with us.

cardy1969 Fri 07-Feb-20 14:22:18

She was going to take out individual travel
Insurance for her actual trip but, yes, good point the insurance might not cover her if her booking are cancel or if she cancels. I will look into it. At the moment I am so reluctant for her to confirm the tour or book her flight but the is pressure from her friends plus the tour company.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in