Talk

Advanced search

What have I done to my back (diagram)?

(8 Posts)
TheOrangeFox Fri 07-Feb-20 20:41:48

Update: saw a GP this morning who thinks its either a slipped disc or a trapped nerve. Prescribed Oramorph which is barely touching the pain at 10mg four times a day and I have physio beginning Monday. He said it could take weeks to fully heal but if I see no improvement in a week he'll send for an MRI.

OP’s posts: |
TheOrangeFox Fri 07-Feb-20 07:51:50

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm low income at the moment and have no savings so unless it's provided by the NHS, I'm out of options. We do have a self referral physio scheme in the area with drop ins so I'll call early this morning to see if there are any drop ins today.

Is this likely to go as quickly as it came? I'm hoping it does as I have my driving test in a week and a half and I'm not able to practice at all like this as I feel like it's dangerous.

No numbness in the saddle area. Felt a little tingly while laying down but not numb.

Calyx72 Fri 07-Feb-20 07:20:35

Also physio can assess and advise/reassure/treat/refer on as appropriate. Tell them you have acute (less than 6 weeks) severe pain, affecting sleep and function. You could see a private physio if you have to wait for NHS

Calyx72 Fri 07-Feb-20 07:16:59

Muscle spasm maybe. Can be extremely painful. Might be worth seeing if the GP would consider prescribing diazepam or similar for a short while

If you have any bladder or bowel problems including numbness in your saddle area, that came on with this pain, do go to A&E

Otherwise try heat or cold therapy, pain relief, move as able and most importantly please try not to let it frighten you. It's common and will pass and it can be really awful but it is not likely to be sinister. thanks

SoupDragon Fri 07-Feb-20 07:14:16

Your GP is shit - I would say that level of pain is an emergency.

I've always found an osteopath to be good - one of the massage types, not a "snap you into place with a worrying crack" type (avoid those!).

I think I would want a doctor to look at it first though.

Do you have a minor injuries unit nearby?

RedSheep73 Fri 07-Feb-20 07:09:36

Go to an osteopath or chiropractor

TheOrangeFox Fri 07-Feb-20 07:02:30

Forgot to mention the pain is making me feel quite sick and dizzy and if I cough/sneeze, my entire back spasms and my legs just go completely weak.

TheOrangeFox Fri 07-Feb-20 06:52:11

I have hyper-mobility (especially in my spine) and fibromyalgia so I'm always stiff and sore in my back. Whatever I've done to it now though is a fresh hell.

Pain came from nowhere Wednesday morning. Started as a sharp pain above my hip but only bothered me when moving in specific ways. As of lunch time today, I felt something literally twang in my back and a radiating burning pain up through where my bra strap goes and down around my lower back and through the love handle area.

I've taken Naproxen and Tramadol for the pain. Nothing is touching it. I can barely sleep because if I do much as move even slightly the pain is white hot and like I'm being pulled on a rack. Lying here on my left side with knees bent seems okay, sore and 'pulsing' pain but not that crazy intense pain. Lying on my back is the same assuming it's the right position.

I can't stand up straight nor bend so I'm perpetually hunched over and getting up and down from chairs/the car/the bed is utterly horrific and takes a lot of time.

What are the possibilities here? Any ideas/experience/tips? GP told me yesterday I don't sound like an emergency so they have no appointments. Don't want to bother A&E if it's nothing as I have intense hospital anxiety and I'd rather not work myself up if it isn't for them.

Re diagram: the green line is where the pain began. The red lines are the situation now after the 'twang'. Did nothing for the twang, by the way. I was sat down in a high backed chair.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in