Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

9 month old still has large fontanel about 3 inches long and wide...

(4 Posts)
kylah Sun 02-Sep-07 18:24:20

Hi, noticed on other babies especially my 4 month old nephew have very small fontanels and some virtually non existent. My son is 9 months old and still has a really wide gap near the front of the skull. I'm concerned as have read that should be on its way to closed by now. Going to take him to the GP and see what they recommend. His development is brilliant so not mega anxious,ticking all the other boxes he should at this age. Does anyone else have a baby with a similar thing and should I ask to be referred to a pediatrician, or what they possibly might suggest? Thanks.

moodlesoup Sun 02-Sep-07 19:01:25

i was told not to worry until abou 14months, by a student doctor... i wouldn't worry as he's still v young.

Seona1973 Sun 02-Sep-07 20:03:04

I think the one on the top of the head closes by 18 months so no need to worry just yet.

From Babycentre:

The anterior fontanelle is more obvious and can easily be felt as a slightly soft area of skin on the top of the head. This does not close until well after your baby's first birthday, usually by eighteen months.

fakeblonde Sun 02-Sep-07 20:24:38

3inches by 3 inches is def bigger than normal.I think you should get a paed to reassure you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now