Talk

Advanced search

Calm me down about what this could be?

(13 Posts)
onetwofive Wed 05-Feb-20 15:41:53

Please note I ONLY want to hear reassurance right now! Discomfort - not pain - under front of left ribs - by solar plexus. I guess that's stomach area? Ongoing for a while, on and off but for months now. I think it's getting worse but I am a huge hypochondriac so never sure whether I'm imagining it. I'm massively suggestible so tend to imagine I've got whatever disease I've just read about. Have an appt with Dr but at times I'm really freaking out about this. Please any stories of similar experiences with innocent explanations would be great!

OP’s posts: |
penguin246 Wed 05-Feb-20 15:51:57

Could be costocondritis (not sure of spelling). Or heart burn.

onetwofive Wed 05-Feb-20 15:56:51

Thanks v much. Dont think its heartburn, will look up the other one!

30under Wed 05-Feb-20 15:58:16

Some sort of pulled muscle? I hope you get the reassurance you need soon OP.

onetwofive Wed 05-Feb-20 19:45:44

Thank you. Doesn't feel like a pulled muscle. Wonder if it could be an ulcer. I've certainly been stressed, even though they no longer say that's a cause!

AFistfulofDolores1 Wed 05-Feb-20 19:46:53

Hiatus hernia.

Lumene Wed 05-Feb-20 19:48:05

Have you had a previous operation in that area? If so could just be scar tissue.

slipperywhensparticus Wed 05-Feb-20 19:48:44

Have you actually taken gaviscon or something for heartburn? Your description fits my severe heartburn to a tee

Spied Wed 05-Feb-20 19:51:21

Is this almost like a sudden electric shock?
If so I get this too.
My Dr. puts it down to GERD issues and/or bout of gastritis.
If not, then sorry I'm unsure.

NoSauce Wed 05-Feb-20 20:07:48

Gastritis
Reflux
Hpylori - which can cause an ulcer.

kissmelittleass Wed 05-Feb-20 22:30:07

I get pain there and mine was mild gastritis found after a gastroscopy

Elouera Wed 05-Feb-20 22:34:01

Had you mentioned your health anxiety with your GP? Its quite common and something they often see. Many people benefit from CBT to put things in perspective and stop making themselves nervous wrecks with each and every ache and pain. I'd recommend asking your GP for help.

WhichBin Wed 05-Feb-20 22:39:56

Came on to say costocondritis, it’s inflammation of the rib cage.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/costochondritis/

I’ve had it a couple of times in the last few years and with different symptoms each time so didn’t link it the second time.

Breathlessness, pain, sometimes sharp, achey / uncomfortable feeling when breathing, heavy chest when lying down.

Treatable with ibruprofen gel.

Hope you feel better soon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »