Talk

Advanced search

Thumb pain

(7 Posts)
parrotonmyshoulder Wed 05-Feb-20 00:34:55

I’ve had pain in both thumbs, at the base, getting worse over the last few days. Noticed it was quite bad this afternoon (felt a bit tearful). I’ve woken up for the loo just now and both feel stiff and achy.
No swelling, no accident.
I feel stupid trying to see a doctor to say ‘My thumbs hurt’, but am worried.

OP’s posts: |
PeninsulaPanic Wed 05-Feb-20 09:33:45

Sorry to hear this is distressing you. I don't have any info to offer, I'm afraid, but I wanted to tell you how surprised I was to see your post because I've also had pain at the base of my thumbs in the last few days. Mostly in the left but less severely in the right. Feels like it's in or near the joint and if I press down on anything with the left thumb I get horrid, sharp, shooting pain. I'm wondering if I need an xray. No accidents, but I do have osteoporosis so could be prone to what are called 'fragility fractures'.

Have you had any wrist pain or pain in any other part of your hands? My left wrist has been achey and occasionally acutely painful recently too. Hope you can decide on a course of action soon and get some support. I might call 111 today as a first resort.

Whattodo1610 Wed 05-Feb-20 10:50:48

I have the same! Just had bloods checked fir arthritis/inflammation markers etc ... all clear. GP says it can be stress/anxiety related hmm

HungoverTart Wed 05-Feb-20 12:46:31

Yeah, I have this and have osteoarthritis. I am just recovering from a trapeziectomy but now have it bad in the other hand. It sucks

NaiceHamPlease Wed 05-Feb-20 12:56:53

Could it be DeQuervain’s tenosynovitis, or 'mothers thumb? I can't post a link but there is a NHS PDF leaflet if you Google.

I had it in one hand from lifting a very chubby DS by constantly hooking my hands under his armpits. I had a steroid inke rion on into the tendon at the doctors and it was cured over night.

NaiceHamPlease Wed 05-Feb-20 12:57:54

*injection grin

PhilCornwall1 Wed 05-Feb-20 13:06:12

I'd recommend keeping any eye on this. I've got Rheumatoid Arthritis and it started in my wrists and fingers. It's all over now.

If the balls of your feet hurt, specifically first thing in the morning, see the GP.

Just because CRP (inflammation marker) and Rheumatoid Factor comes back as normal, doesn't mean you don't have it.

I'm not saying it is this at all (not a Doctor), but just something to keep an eye on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »