Talk

Advanced search

Amitriptyline

(9 Posts)
Keseru Tue 04-Feb-20 20:23:46

Hi am I right in thinking you can take Amitriptyline just when I’m struggling to sleep.and don’t have to take every night

OP’s posts: |
Pipandmum Tue 04-Feb-20 20:26:03

My daughter took it for migraines (didn't help) but was told to take it daily as the effect was accummulative. Night be different for sleeping.

CornishPorsche Tue 04-Feb-20 20:26:22

That's what I do. Mine were prescribed for daily dosing for neck pain, but I couldn't cope with the side effects. I only take it when I'm in ribbons and don't have to get up in the morning or don't have to drive first thing.

BuilderWoes Tue 04-Feb-20 20:31:48

In my personal experience, yes. I use it when I've had several nights of little it no sleep to break the cycle.

I always have to take at least 12 hours before I plan to wake up. I do find it makes me sluggish the next day.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 04-Feb-20 20:34:46

Yes, I took it for a bit, but did feel the pull to keep taking it once I had stopped. It can be addictive, however if your lack of sleep is bad then who cares! Its quite a seductive drug IMO

On the other hand my mum and sister have been on it for years as a sleeping aid with apparently no ill effects. Mum is 92!

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 04-Feb-20 20:35:51

oh and I had almost no side effects and was able to function perfectly well the next day

homemadecommunistrussia Tue 04-Feb-20 22:19:25

I only took it twice as I felt a real come down the following evening, like crying for nothing at 8 pm I hated it. When I slept there were no dreams it was so weird.
I really wanted it to work too, I was in so much pain.
Have you been prescribed it?

Mysocalledlifex Wed 05-Feb-20 23:16:26

I had it for migraines made me have dreams that i remembered most nights.

Dontdisturbmenow Thu 06-Feb-20 15:09:28

Yep, that's what I do and go has said it's absolutely fine. It works better for me if I take it no more than twice a week. It also minimise the side effects.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »