Talk

Advanced search

Water clefts in eye (me) and poss glasses needed for pre-schooler (DC)

(5 Posts)
Firecracker2019 Tue 04-Feb-20 17:28:58

I recently had an eye test (first one in a couple of years) and the optician asked me to go back for a further test with drops as she found a couple of water clefts on one eye. Googled it after the appointment and now worried as it seems they're an early sign of a type of cataract??!
I'm only in my early 40s.

I've never needed glasses before and have always had great eyesight.

Also, DC age 3.5 had their first eye test and also needs to go back for another test with (stinging!) drops as optician said he could only see at a distance up to +4? We've repeated the test once with same results hence going back a third time for drops. I'm just shocked as other DC have no sight issues.

Can anyone help or advise please? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Tue 04-Feb-20 17:55:54

Did he get the drops on other occasions or just on this upcoming appointment? It's pretty standard to use drops at that age. My dd got glasses at 18 months old due to long sight and was the only member of the family to need glasses.

Firecracker2019 Tue 04-Feb-20 18:42:21

No drops on previous appointments. Optician said she tries to avoid using them unless necessary as they sting a lot?

dementedpixie Tue 04-Feb-20 18:56:20

You dont really get reliable eye tests in the younger age group without them. Dd and DS's eye tests were all done with drops up until age 8ish

Firecracker2019 Tue 04-Feb-20 21:43:23

Now I'm wondering whether older DC (7)'s test was reliable...?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in