Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

best way to get a firm tummy back or do i need a personal trainer?

(92 Posts)
zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 10:07:55

....wel it is probably a lost cause but i will try

need simple description of exercises or which gym machines/kind of exercise help

maybe a book?

BarbieGirl Sat 01-Sep-07 10:35:20

My DH reckons the only way to trim your tum is to do sit-ups. I personally hate doing them they hurt my back.

If I were you, I would join your local Gym and ask the fitness intructor to write you up a fitness plan. Tell them you want to tone your tum or loose weight etc, and they will do a plan for you.

I to need to tone up my tummy but I drink far too much wine and know this is contributing to my expanding stomach and weigh gain.

cornsilk Sat 01-Sep-07 10:37:29

I once went through a phase of doing 200 sit ups a day (don't now!) and it really made a massive difference after a few weeks. If only I could motivate myself like that again...

RedLorryYellowLorry Sat 01-Sep-07 10:43:37

Get one of those birthing ball type inflatables. They are great for sit ups apparently. [looks at wobbly stomach and wonders why I never take my OWN advice]

fuzzywuzzy Sat 01-Sep-07 10:45:55

I was told by a personal trainer (he's not my personal trainer but a friend) to do the following excersise.

Lie on the floor on your back, arms out at a 45 degree angle.
Bring back up off the floor at also about 45 degree angle from the floor, allowing your weight to rest on your arms,keep chin tucked in to your chest, bring your legs up and make circular motions with both legs ten time first clockwise and then anti-clockwise.
Increase the leg motions as your stomach muscles tighten.

If your doing it right your somtach will hurt the next day, I tend to do these morning and night, and it really does work, should see results in about a fortnight.

zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 10:46:16

i already go to the gym..so everything is fine except my tum..well getting there anyway

i don't think i do sit ups right..not that i do them but when i try i can tell i'm not doing it right

zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 10:48:19

so in that you are allowed to put weight on your arms..do you mean legs out straight or bent

fuzzywuzzy Sat 01-Sep-07 10:50:20

legs should be kept straight and together, you shold feel your stomach muscles being worked, also make sure your hips stay on the floor.

zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 10:50:33

bloody hell that is bordering on the impossible..ten times each way you must be kidding..how many did you manage to start with

zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 10:51:11

and I thought i was quite fit otherwise now

fuzzywuzzy Sat 01-Sep-07 10:51:42

I didn't get it when he was explaining it to me, till he got down on the floor and showed me.

fuzzywuzzy Sat 01-Sep-07 10:53:01

first time, ten times one way and then I collapsed, but only thro sheer bloody mindedness.... I can easily do ten times both directions now, but I have been doing the excersises for a while, my work colleague was really impressed actually as she's seen the before and after of my stomache

zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 10:54:34

so next time i go to the gym i shall ask to be shown this exercise..doubts ability ever to manage it though

superalienstitch Sat 01-Sep-07 10:54:36

dependingon numberofchildren

persobally,i need surgery.

zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 10:55:35

i have three.. and ia malso too old for this but determined

fuzzywuzzy Sat 01-Sep-07 10:56:19

Phil (my own personal trainer...ok friend hwo is a persoanl trainer), told me it's the best excersise to tone the main muscles that holds everything together..... it does take time to get the hang of.
I've had two babies btw

zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 10:58:17

right i've done ten anti clockwise but did it hurt your back a bit

zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 10:59:06

i think my back must be trying to compensate for the non existent front muscles

fuzzywuzzy Sat 01-Sep-07 11:02:58

yes it did a bit, but I put that down to an old injury in my back.

Keep your back still, and make sure your pressing your hips/bottom into the floor, your hips should be still.

when you collapse onto the floor after finishing the excerisse, your stomach muscles should feel like they've just undergone rigorous excersise...(a bit like after twenty sit ups or something, Phil said sit ups are crap at toning the lower stomach muscles)

zippitippitoes Sat 01-Sep-07 11:06:12

just tried again after about four tried again and couldn't lift my legs at all..i shall keep trying..later...tomorrow

i hope i can crack it

i don't really get what you do with those big exercise balls

BandofMothers Sat 01-Sep-07 11:08:10

fuzzy, if you're leaning on your arms, are they bent at the elbow so your forearms are on the floor, or are you leaning on your hands with your arms straight. I think it must be the first as how can your hips be on the floor??

fuzzywuzzy Sat 01-Sep-07 11:09:40

arms are bent and touch the floor from the elbow to the hands....whos fizzy<<looks over shoulder paranoid now>>hmm

fuzzywuzzy Sat 01-Sep-07 11:10:03

ah misread you meant me sorry...

ghosty Sat 01-Sep-07 11:11:37

Oh, I am trying to work out what you mean fuzzy - but I don't get it ... [frustrated]
I want a toned tummy again ... everything else looks ok ... just a wobbletum ...
sigh.

BandofMothers Sat 01-Sep-07 11:12:34

thats what I thought, so your whole forearms are on the floor, and you lift up sort of like a crunch. Then stay like that while you lift your legs and circle them

Bloody hell, chances are I MIGHT MANAGE 1 AT THEMO. bUT i CAN SEE HOW IT WOULD MAKE ABS OF STEEL.

<<,GOES OFF TO TRY>>>>

Oops bloody caps lock right next to the shift keyblushgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now